Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
So I just recently got an iPhone. My dad has an old Samsung but when I was sending him my first few texts we realized it was sending as iMessage. It was sending them to his iPad. What on my end or his end can we do to “disconnect” this so my text messages are sent as a text message to his phone?

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
If you go to start a new conversation with someone in the messages app and type in his number and tap the entry that pops up, it will switch to sending the messages to your dad's phone. I had to jump through similar hoops when my brother got an iPad.

If anything changes to set the conversation back to sending to his iPad, you'll have to repeat these steps.

The alternative is to remove the phone number from his contact and create a new one solely for his cell phone.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
If you go to start a new conversation with someone in the messages app and type in his number and tap the entry that pops up, it will switch to sending the messages to your dad's phone. I had to jump through similar hoops when my brother got an iPad.

If anything changes to set the conversation back to sending to his iPad, you'll have to repeat these steps.

The alternative is to remove the phone number from his contact and create a new one solely for his cell phone.

THANK YOU! I saw that it defaulted to his apple account and i just selected his cell phone number. Now it's sending as text messages as expected!

Reactions: RogerWilco6502
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.