Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
I have a 2006 Mac Mini 1.66 Core Duo. It has 1 gig of ram. I thought the drive was bad it’s not. But anyways it has 10.5.8 on it. I can connect with Safari every site says Safari is out of date. So from research I can only update it to a max of 10.6.8. Then I maybe able to use more of it. How do I do this? Can I just jump to 6.8 or do I have to start with 10.6 and get everything up to 10.6.8. And where do I get the disks? eBay? Or is there a more safe way? Thanks.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
10.6 or 10.6.4 is what you're going to find for sale online. Apple used to sell Snow Leopard on DVD but it seems like within the last 2 years they have ceased sale of it. You can still find it for sale on eBay/Amazon at varying prices. Buying it used is fine.

You'll be able to update it to 10.6.8 from here for free using Software Update. In terms of web browsers you'll be able to get up to Firefox 52 which is a few years out of date and getting pretty chunky, and then a few other like Arctic Fox.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Use another computer to download the Snow Leopard DVD from the Internet Archive and download the Combo Update from Apple. If you have enough storage to copy the disk image onto the mac mini, just mount it and run the installer from there. Otherwise create a boot DVD and then boot from it.

Reactions: Raging Dufus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.