Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Also I forgot to mention the i have no battery in the system. Its running on external power
Apple laptops run at half CPU speed when there is no battery installed, so this is at least part of why your computer is so slow. It does sound like the computer has had some sort of severe damage.

Reactions: snaky69

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Apple laptops run at half CPU speed when there is no battery installed, so this is at least part of why your computer is so slow. It does sound like the computer has had some sort of severe damage.
I was beat to it, but exactly this.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
You (chrfr, snaky69) were both beat to it as I mentioned the lack of the battery as a probable cause in post #12. The problem with the trackpad sensor (likely in the cable), which people with the same issue say causes the fan to run constantly, could also be a cause of the performance issue. The jury's still out on this one but it seems like the connectors (trackpad, keyboard, possibly one of the USB ports) rather than a major logic board issue is the problem. The AHT and whatever diagnostics the "tech guy" ran did not result in any problems other than the sensor, the liquid spill indicators (at least the one near the trackpad connector) hasn't been tripped and a visual inspection of the logic board hasn't turned up any obvious issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.