Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubird28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Hi, I am looking for a simple video player. I transfer my movies to the ipad using itunes so I need a video player that automatically sees the movies stored on my ipad. Most video players you need to download or transfer your videos using ftp or other servers which I do not need. I found 1 player called rockplayer2 that sees my videos when I open the app but it is not the nicest player. So any suggestions would be great.
thanks

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Hi, I am looking for a simple video player. I transfer my movies to the ipad using itunes so I need a video player that automatically sees the movies stored on my ipad. Most video players you need to download or transfer your videos using ftp or other servers which I do not need. I found 1 player called rockplayer2 that sees my videos when I open the app but it is not the nicest player. So any suggestions would be great.
thanks

If I understand what you are after, Nplayer should do what you want. NPlayer will play movies, music and pictures synced to your iPhone/ipad through iTunes.

For example: On my iPhone right now I can open Nplayer and choose to watch or listen or look at any movie, song or photo in the native apple apps via Nplayer. It's pretty simple with a very solid interface. I is a bit of a battery hog, but works well.

BUT...

There's a chance you can totally bypass placing movies into iTunes and then syncing as Nplayer along with Cinxplayer, VLC etc are all just drag and drop from desktop into the player under the app tab in iTunes when you have it connected to your computer.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
thanks

I don't particularly recommend rockplayer2. (See my detailed review at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1434336/ .)

nPlayer should be the first to check out. Also, I recommend Infuse if you want seamless MKV streaming to an ATV.

doubird28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
nplayer

If I understand what you are after, Nplayer should do what you want. NPlayer will play movies, music and pictures synced to your iPhone/ipad through iTunes.

For example: On my iPhone right now I can open Nplayer and choose to watch or listen or look at any movie, song or photo in the native apple apps via Nplayer. It's pretty simple with a very solid interface. I is a bit of a battery hog, but works well.

BUT...

There's a chance you can totally bypass placing movies into iTunes and then syncing as Nplayer along with Cinxplayer, VLC etc are all just drag and drop from desktop into the player under the app tab in iTunes when you have it connected to your computer.

Nplayer is 4.99 so I would rather not spend that if I am not sure it will recognize the videos I already have on my ipad like rockplayer2 does.
Thanks for the help, I will keep searching

----------

I have read the replies and none so far have worked. I am still searching and trying all the free ones I can. With all the apps out there there should be a simple one somewhere.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
thanks

Is there something wrong with the built in player? I use Infuse myself as i stream videos from my home server but it does play local files as well.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Nplayer is 4.99 so I would rather not spend that if I am not sure it will recognize the videos I already have on my ipad like rockplayer2 does.

----------

I have read the replies and none so far have worked. I am still searching and trying all the free ones I can. With all the apps out there there should be a simple one somewhere.

There are several OK'ish free apps. You really want to check out my earlier posts here in the iPad Apps forum as I've posted tons of reviews of free multimedia apps here.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

----------

I'm not sure what videos you already have on your iTunes, but I'd assume that if they are in your standard iTunes app, they will work in Nplayer. I don't know about videos you have paid for from Apple store and DLed onto your iPad though. Menneisyys2 is the expert so I'd ask him about that.

Can you clarify what exactly is your process and the file formats etc.? Because I get the feeling you don't quite understand what apps like Nplayer and Cinexplayer are capable of doing. They are not streaming players. The files will be on your iPad and it is done through your iTunes window on your computer. There is no need to use handbrake or any other program. It's just a straight drag and drop of the file into the app.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not sure what videos you already have on your iTunes, but I'd assume that if they are in your standard iTunes app, they will work in Nplayer. I don't know about videos you have paid for from Apple store and DLed onto your iPad though. Menneisyys2 is the expert so I'd ask him about that.

Unfortunately, it's impossible for third-party apps to access any DRM'ed video (not even ones that were given away for free in special occasions) even as of iOS 8.1. The only way to play them back is the stock VIdeos app.

This applies both to streamed and local content.

doubird28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
nplayer

Can you clarify what exactly is your process and the file formats etc.? Because I get the feeling you don't quite understand what apps like Nplayer and Cinexplayer are capable of doing. They are not streaming players. The files will be on your iPad and it is done through your iTunes window on your computer. There is no need to use handbrake or any other program. It's just a straight drag and drop of the file into the app.

hi, I haven't tried nplayer because it is 4.99. it is not that expensive but I don't want to buy it if it does not work.
The default ipad video player works but there are no options, like playlist, etc. So I just want a player that reads my videos and has a few options. I put videos in my Itunes and then sync to ipad, usually mp4 files. I already have an app that streams videos from my pc to ipad but if I am on the road I always have some videos on my ipad to watch. So rockplayer2 and Oplayer does what I need but they are not very nice.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
You could use a 3rd party manager like itools to transfer videos if you dont want wifi transfer, that would open a lot of possibilities.

doubird28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
nplayer

@doubird28

Why you not test nPlayer?? That is the favorite player here in MacRumors Forum!!

I can't try nplayer because it is not free.

Last edited by a moderator:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I really love nPlayer (4,99 dollar) and use it a lot on both iPad and iPhone and works great with my NAS to stream videos, music and photo's to my iDevices.
An even better one is Infuse 3 (as i'm being told) which has alot of the nPlayer features but also has the option to download subtitles automatically via the app but this app costs 9,99 dollar (free, in-app purchase), see also this forum topic.

But i also searched for a free alternative and did find one which also works pretty good also with e.g. MKV (does not have resume option, video only) which is called VidOn Player (iPhone) 'VidOn Player HD' (iPad). Please give that one a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.