Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
My elderly parents have been using a very old Intel MacBook Pro for years. Recently, the hinge developed a little hiccup that had me concerned.

I just visited Apple's web-site and purchased an Apple-certified refurbished M3 14-inch MacBook Pro for them, with annual AppleCare subscription. It is a 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, "Space Gray" unit. I am now concerned about accessories.

1: I understand there are aftermarket "GAN" USB-C chargers available. Where do I go to learn more about these? Is there also a long (maybe 10-fooot) USB-C -to- MagSafe aftermarket charging cable as well?

2: For some volunteer civic organizations our family participates in, we use a factory-refurbished Epson EX7200 overhead projector for slideshows. The EX7200 comes with these built-in female ports: HDMI, Mini-VGA (DE-15), USB-A, USB-B, and A/V Red, Yellow and White. In the box is A bulky Mini-VGA -to- Mini-VGA cable and a USB-A to USB-B cable. We also purchased an HDMI-to-HDMI cable as well. Left over from previous generations are the following adaptors we've used in the past: Kanex VGA -to- HDMI adaptor, Apple Video Port -to- VGA adaptor, and also a Apple Display Port -to- VGA adaptor. I need to make sure we have the right accessories for when we do any slideshows. Is there anything new I should look for?

3: I believe I still have an old Tom Bihn "Brain Cell" padded laptop case for carry inside a briefcase or backpack; this case was optimized for an old 15-inch MacBook Pro over a decade ago. I'm not sure if a 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro would fit, but I'm assuming it would. Any ideas if it doesn't?

4: My parents may want to use earphones to listen to audio or video presentations discreetly. I'm pretty sure the latest-generation MacBook Pros have an earphone jack. Do I have to worry about compatibility? If we need an adaptor, what should we look for?

These issues have been on my mind.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Reactions: colodane

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
1: I understand there are aftermarket "GAN" USB-C chargers available. Where do I go to learn more about these? Is there also a long (maybe 10-fooot) USB-C -to- MagSafe aftermarket charging cable as well?
Buy this instead of long USB-C cable.. or buy both. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cheaper on eBay, btw.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I need to make sure we have the right accessories for when we do any slideshows. Is there anything new I should look for?
This…
Again, cheaper on eBay or third-party versions on Amazon.

Reactions: Wingsley

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
GAN chargers are newer technologies chargers and are compatible with M3 Macbook pro (I am using WIWU and UGREEN GAN chargers with Macs, specifically M3 Macbook Pro 14 inch and iPhone 15 Pro Max. There is basically no need for aftermarket USB-C to Magsafe cable, as any good USB-C to USB-C cable will do.
2: For some volunteer civic organizations our family participates in, we use a factory-refurbished Epson EX7200 overhead projector for slideshows. The EX7200 comes with these built-in female ports: HDMI, Mini-VGA (DE-15), USB-A, USB-B, and A/V Red, Yellow and White. In the box is A bulky Mini-VGA -to- Mini-VGA cable and a USB-A to USB-B cable. We also purchased an HDMI-to-HDMI cable as well. Left over from previous generations are the following adaptors we've used in the past: Kanex VGA -to- HDMI adaptor, Apple Video Port -to- VGA adaptor, and also a Apple Display Port -to- VGA adaptor. I need to make sure we have the right accessories for when we do any slideshows. Is there anything new I should look for?
Macbook Pro has a HDMI port. Use it directly to plug into OHP through HDMI cable.

3: I believe I still have an old Tom Bihn "Brain Cell" padded laptop case for carry inside a briefcase or backpack; this case was optimized for an old 15-inch MacBook Pro over a decade ago. I'm not sure if a 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro would fit, but I'm assuming it would. Any ideas if it doesn't?
Would fit.
4: My parents may want to use earphones to listen to audio or video presentations discreetly. I'm pretty sure the latest-generation MacBook Pros have an earphone jack. Do I have to worry about compatibility? If we need an adaptor, what should we look for?

These issues have been on my mind.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Macbook Pro M3 does have 3.5 mm earphone jacket. I have one and I use it when necessary (though I use more wireless Airpods Pro 2 and if needed, a USB-C headphones from Apple as well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.