Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedNova6289

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
Great extension which works very well - just one question:

Do you think it is safe?

I only disable it on sensitive websites: banking, health, etc.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Since it is from the App store a reasonable expectation would be that it is safe.
Since a lot of scam software has been, and some still is, on the app store, that would not be a safe assumption.

But to answer the question from OP, it should be safe. As far as I know it doesn't send data out of your Mac, it just needs to be able to access the pages in order to reskin them into dark mode.

RedNova6289

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
Since a lot of scam software has been, and some still is, on the app store, that would not be a safe assumption.

But to answer the question from OP, it should be safe. As far as I know it doesn't send data out of your Mac, it just needs to be able to access the pages in order to reskin them into dark mode.
This extension would be able to read and
modify web pages and access your browsing
history on this website. This
could include sensitive data,
including passwords, phone numbers and credit
phone numbers and credit cards.

:rolleyes:

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
This extension would be able to read and
modify web pages and access your browsing
history on this website. This
could include sensitive data,
including passwords, phone numbers and credit
phone numbers and credit cards.

:rolleyes:
Yes, but that is just a standard message that Apple puts up for when an app accesses a web page. It doesn't mean that they are accessing all that (see the could) or doing anything with it other than modifying the page to display it in dark mode. 👎 :p 🙄 Epic Fail!

Reactions: RedNova6289

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Didn't say it was perfectly safe or the app store was perfect, just that it is reasonably so. If you want perfection don't download apps (from anywhere).

RedNova6289

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
I would to say thank you for your answers despite the delay of this message.

I am still using this app and find it excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.