Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hi,

I was browsing Kickstarter and I came across this case which looks amazing IMO. It uses some kind of special magnet which makes it strong, easily detachable and flexible.

Before anyone says otherwise: I'm not affiliated with the makers.

I'm just here to ask - is there a catch? This looks like a revolutionary case, you can snap it to a fridge, you can snap it to a stand that rotates, you can use it in all sorts of angles both landscape and portrait. Best of all for my needs, you can detach the cover when you're not using it and use the iPad naturally with a thin hard case.

The kickstarter is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2044819567/glyder-case-the-worlds-lightest-and-most-versatile

It only has a small amount of its $25,000 target with 14 days to go so I'm asking why haven't people jumped on this? Why isn't it being funded well? I want this case, but I haven't got $20,000 to spare to fund it!

Last edited:

Guardsix

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Hi,

I was browsing Kickstarter and I came across this case which looks amazing IMO. It uses some kind of special magnet which makes it strong, easily detachable and flexible.

Before anyone says otherwise: I'm not affiliated with the makers.

I'm just here to ask - is there a catch? This looks like a revolutionary case, you can snap it to a fridge, you can snap it to a stand that rotates, you can use it in all sorts of angles both landscape and portrait. Best of all for my needs, you can detach the cover when you're not using it and use the iPad naturally with a thin hard case.

The kickstarter is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2044819567/glyder-case-the-worlds-lightest-and-most-versatile

It only has a small amount of its $25,000 target with 14 days to go so I'm asking why haven't people jumped on this? Why isn't it being funded well? I want this case, but I haven't got $20,000 to spare to fund it!

Looks like you won't get the complete case unless you "donate" $55. That's quite a lot for something that might or might not be delivered who knows when.

I'm still waiting for a stylus that I funded over a year ago! I consider that a lost investment.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Looks like you won't get the complete case unless you "donate" $55. That's quite a lot for something that might or might not be delivered who knows when.

I'm still waiting for a stylus that I funded over a year ago! I consider that a lost investment.

Isn't that how a Kickstarter works? The pre-payment I mean, not waiting forever for a product to be released. I know Kickstarter isn't perfect but it's an accepted concept in this day and age for funding of projects. Many popular Apple product accessories started on Kickstarter, so why not this one?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's a matter of "why", not "why not".

It only has a small amount of its $25,000 target with 14 days to go so I'm asking why haven't people jumped on this? Why isn't it being funded well?
Because they don't find it amazing like you do. Because they're leery of Kickstarter. There are countless possible reasons.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
It's a matter of "why", not "why not".

Because they don't find it amazing like you do. Because they're leery of Kickstarter. There are countless possible reasons.

I suppose this is the answer.

It's a shame. A 5cm lightning cable gets more funding on Kickstarter than a light iPad case with multiple portrait and landscape positions, customisable colours, detachable cover (so no overhang feel) and a mounting system to attach your iPad pretty much anywhere....

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I suppose this is the answer.

It's a shame. A 5cm lightning cable gets more funding on Kickstarter than a light iPad case with multiple portrait and landscape positions, customisable colours, detachable cover (so no overhang feel) and a mounting system to attach your iPad pretty much anywhere....

The 5cm lightning cable appeals to a broader audience, which makes it easier to drum up publicity via word of mouth. It's also a pretty cheap buy-in, so if it fails to deliver, you're not out much money. And if I recall, the last one of those I saw a few months back had a successful previous Kickstarter with a similar product, which helps on several levels.

A $50+ plastic iPad case that claims to do it all (often a signal to me that it does none of it well no matter what the manufacturers claim); a fairly complicated product from a manufacturing standpoint that's being offered up by a company that's never successfully funded and distributed on a Kickstarter? Or even delivered on a product outside of Kickstarter? Great big red flag there. Their shipping dates aren't remotely realistic for a brand new product, which again is not a confidence booster for anyone who's supported any Kickstarter project previously. And oh yeah, most of the colors shown aren't available unless they meet some really lofty funding goals that were rather unlikely from the start, given the reasons already stated. (Plus, they're only available at even higher buy-in prices on an already fairly expensive product.)

No thanks. And no surprise to me that it isn't going to be funded. Aside from anything else, there's not a very wide customer base for that kind of niche product. Several cases of this type were promoted when the original iPad first came out--the one that was heavy enough that being able to mount it sounded pretty appealing! None of them ever took off, which is likely part of why you're having a hard time trying to find such a thing now.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
The 5cm lightning cable appeals to a broader audience, which makes it easier to drum up publicity via word of mouth. It's also a pretty cheap buy-in, so if it fails to deliver, you're not out much money. And if I recall, the last one of those I saw a few months back had a successful previous Kickstarter with a similar product, which helps on several levels.

A $50+ plastic iPad case that claims to do it all (often a signal to me that it does none of it well no matter what the manufacturers claim);
The videos show off the product quite well - they have a large number of demonstration videos for a product that doesn't do what it claims it does. The magnetic technology makes sense to me, so why wouldn't it work?

a fairly complicated product from a manufacturing standpoint
They built the prototype out of materials bought from a DIY store...

that's being offered up by a company that's never successfully funded and distributed on a Kickstarter? Or even delivered on a product outside of Kickstarter?
Isn't that the whole point of KickStarter? To fund a new idea that you have, without having the success behind you to launch it yourself? IMO if you've made success off of Kickstarter you should have enough funds to launch your own products yourselves next time round.

Great big red flag there. Their shipping dates aren't remotely realistic for a brand new product, which again is not a confidence booster for anyone who's supported any Kickstarter project previously. And oh yeah, most of the colors shown aren't available unless they meet some really lofty funding goals that were rather unlikely from the start, given the reasons already stated. (Plus, they're only available at even higher buy-in prices on an already fairly expensive product.)

No thanks. And no surprise to me that it isn't going to be funded. Aside from anything else, there's not a very wide customer base for that kind of niche product.
See below, I just don't understand why! This is an all-in-one super-thin case, which deals with many problems of traditional cover cases, who in their right mind doesn't want this? Is it just the price putting people off?

Several cases of this type were promoted when the original iPad first came out--the one that was heavy enough that being able to mount it sounded pretty appealing! None of them ever took off, which is likely part of why you're having a hard time trying to find such a thing now.

You make some good points, however they are arguable. See the comments in red.

I know this won't be funded but I am frustrated. The case is exactly what I need, The number one problem I have with iPad cases is the ****ing annoying over-hang you get from the cover when folding it back to use the screen. It jabs into the hand and you can't get a proper grip on the actual iPad to use it, for example, in games nicely. A detachable cover solves this as well as being one of a few to offer portrait mode, which is another thing I need for reading PDF documents next to my Mac.

I'll just have to stick with a naked iPad, a portable stand and a sleeve then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.