Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I used to use NeoOffice eons ago when OpenOffice only supported an X11 gui on Macs. I believe that NeoOffice supported Aqua from day one.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I used to use NeoOffice eons ago when OpenOffice only supported an X11 gui on Macs. I believe that NeoOffice supported Aqua from day one.
There were two versions of NeoOffice; one was NeoOffice/J (Java) and the other one was a proposed Cocoa version which never worked well enough to continue.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I hadn't heard of NeoOffice in ages. What you all using these days? I have been using OnlyOffice for a while now and I like it. I can collaborate in realtime with others via my self hosted Nextcloud instance but I can use the desktop app if I want. Pretty handy.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Whats a decent and supported office package these days for the Mac if you don't wanna go down the MS, Apple or Google route?

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Whats a decent and supported office package these days for the Mac if you don't wanna go down the MS, Apple or Google route?
What do you need it for? If you're looking for a basic office suite but you don't need collaborative features then LibreOffice would fit the bill. It's still very Linuxy with its UI design but it's come lightyears from the days when its predecessor OpenOffice only ran on Mac using x11 or Java. That's what necessitated the NeoOffice fork to begin with.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
If you don't need a gazillion features try OnlyOffice (the desktop version). It's pretty nice https://www.onlyoffice.com/
It really is. I use it with Nextcloud so I can create and edit documents using OnlyOffice in a web browser. I installed it using docker on my Synology NAS so it's effectively a server application in this scenario. It's pretty well compatible with MS Office documents too. IMO better than LibreOffice which often exhibits formatting errors with MS Office documents.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
[LibreOffice is] still very Linuxy with its UI design but it's come lightyears from the days when its predecessor OpenOffice only ran on Mac using x11 or Java. That's what necessitated the NeoOffice fork to begin with.

Will ditto LibreOffice as well. Been using since 2008(?) when Sun (then Oracle, and now Apache) started to abandon OpenOffice.

Better MS Office compatibility than Apple's apps imo (but then again, I don't get too fancy with my docs and spreadsheets).

Per link OP provided, looks like NeoOffice is recommending LibreOffice. Guessing due to the relatively abandoned nature of OO.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Been trying to peel myself out of any "office" ecosystems for a few years.

As I don't have to share my stuff with anyone other than fellow weirdos and academics, documents and letters are written in LaTeX with TeXshop. Spreadsheets are, well I don't use them other than for personal finances and I do that on Numbers because I don't have to share the data. I mostly do stats and mathematical work so it's R, Python and Maxima for anything that a larger spreadsheet package might wish to accomplish. Those are free and cross platform.

Email / task management / contact management / calendars get subcontracted out to Apple who do an excellent job.

I maintain an O365 family account because the kids need it for school/university but I'm not poisoning my personal well with it. Colleagues occasionally mail me powerpoints and word documents which are uploaded to O365 and converted to PDFs before I will touch them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.