Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
See it here. It's a Kickstarter project, and while I started out mocking it for it's extremely large size (for a watch), it strikes me that it's actually a really cool little (literally little) phone that you could also wear on your wrist. I wonder if it might not be a decent phone for kids.

ea66d7a4b3c9fee873d364e20451e819_large.jpg

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The cool part IMO is that it's made to be detached from the strap, not having this function is an error on the other smartwatch makers IMO. This way you can use it as a tiny phone if you want, or if you just don't want it on your wrist.

Edit: Hell with it, I backed the $199 16gb version, it just looks so cool. They looked like they were running out of that model pretty quickly. It's $136 off the release price.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The cool part IMO is that it's made to be detached from the strap, not having this function is an error on the other smartwatch makers IMO. This way you can use it as a tiny phone if you want, or if you just don't want it on your wrist.

Edit: Hell with it, I backed the $199 16gb version, it just looks so cool. They looked like they were running out of that model pretty quickly. It's $136 off the release price.

I can't find a date for when it'll ship. Can you see it anywhere?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Initially seemed a bit ridiculous but it's the kind of thing that could make sense in a niche market for sure.

The fitness aspect could be great, as going for a run with a smartphone is annoying.

Let's see what happens!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Looks interesting, but as many will find out, something this large can't be used with jackets or long sleeve shirts with button closures around the wrist. During the summer and with short sleeve shirts, I'm sure it'll be great.

Still waiting for LG or Samsung to get that truly 'thin and flexible' HD screen to the masses or to companies like Apple and Google. Once we have a watch display that is thin as paper, that's when I see this market really kicking off.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I think it looks cool but I wouldn't give up my current phone for it. Meaning you have to add an additional phone line. Kind of a drag.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

It's more expensive ($335) than the galaxy gear! It's intriguing , but too awkward. Since the vast majority (and every techie) carry at least one cell phone, when do you need another phone?

As for the wait time, I guarantee you it won't be shipped on time. Something like this will take many months (IMHO). Most likely, the big tech cos will improve on their current designs and prototypes and make this obsolete.

IMHO - Spinedoc will lament on the long wait time. Then, once received, lament more about it's lacking basic or advanced features. $199 is a bit for a gamble.

As for kickstarter, I really am a fan.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's more expensive ($335) than the galaxy gear! It's intriguing , but too awkward. Since the vast majority (and every techie) carry at least one cell phone, when do you need another phone?

As for the wait time, I guarantee you it won't be shipped on time. Something like this will take many months (IMHO). Most likely, the big tech cos will improve on their current designs and prototypes and make this obsolete.

IMHO - Spinedoc will lament on the long wait time. Then, once received, lament more about it's lacking basic or advanced features. $199 is a bit for a gamble.

As for kickstarter, I really am a fan.

I'd expect it to be more expensive than the Gear, the Gear is a complete fugly virtually useless hunk of crap. I would never compare the grossly overpriced, extremely goofy looking Gear which pretty much just gives notifications to a FULL blown Android device AND a full phone like the Neptune. In reality I have no idea how it will be, it might suck, but on paper at least it is in a completely different category than the Gear.

I don't plan on using this as a watch though, that's why I went with this one over the Omate. The Neptune is detachable so you can use it as a mini phone/device, that's how I plan to use it.

Although I do agree, $335 is too much, that's why I am paying $199. I do understand the long shipping delay, they said January 2014 but if it was a couple months after that no big deal, it gets here when it gets here.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I'd expect it to be more expensive than the Gear, the Gear is a complete fugly virtually useless hunk of crap. I would never compare the grossly overpriced, extremely goofy looking Gear which pretty much just gives notifications to a FULL blown Android device AND a full phone like the Neptune. In reality I have no idea how it will be, it might suck, but on paper at least it is in a completely different category than the Gear.

I don't plan on using this as a watch though, that's why I went with this one over the Omate. The Neptune is detachable so you can use it as a mini phone/device, that's how I plan to use it.

Although I do agree, $335 is too much, that's why I am paying $199. I do understand the long shipping delay, they said January 2014 but if it was a couple months after that no big deal, it gets here when it gets here.

Fair enough. By the way, I agree, the gear is fugly. However, with a smartphone (and you have at least one), their functionality is vastly superior and I don't see the practicality with another device. As of now, it's easier to say "it gets here when it gets here", but having experienced it, it gets old fairly quickly. We'll see... Good luck.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have a phone that makes calls, gives me the time(which is why dont wear a watch)...so why would i need a watch that does the same thing my phone does?

I just dont see a use for it. What would we really need one for? Who wouldnt already have their phone on them?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have a phone that makes calls, gives me the time(which is why dont wear a watch)...so why would i need a watch that does the same thing my phone does?

I just dont see a use for it. What would we really need one for? Who wouldnt already have their phone on them?

Well I'd hate to be obvious, but you could replace your phone with the watch. Just thought that was kinda obvious.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Well I'd hate to be obvious, but you could replace your phone with the watch. Just thought that was kinda obvious.

I'm not sure I'd want to completely replace my phone with a watch but in certain situations it'd be good to leave my phone at home, such as holidays, exercise etc

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Gadgets like this appeal to me for certain situations, but so many of the features of this are dependent upon you putting a sim card in it. Which means another monthly bill. I do think it's a great idea, but this thing could never fully replace my smart phone, especially no that bigger screens are almost the norm. I still think that, to date, the pebble is the best smart watch. It's really simple and not flashy, but it does everything I need it to do and the dev community for it is pretty huge. I hoped Samsung would have had something more worth while up their sleeve, but they didn't. I'm eager to see what apple does.

Side note, why do people who are so offended by the idea of wearing a watch always find their way into threads about smart watches?

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Gadgets like this appeal to me for certain situations, but so many of the features of this are dependent upon you putting a sim card in it. Which means another monthly bill. I do think it's a great idea, but this thing could never fully replace my smart phone, especially no that bigger screens are almost the norm. I still think that, to date, the pebble is the best smart watch. It's really simple and not flashy, but it does everything I need it to do and the dev community for it is pretty huge. I hoped Samsung would have had something more worth while up their sleeve, but they didn't. I'm eager to see what apple does.

Side note, why do people who are so offended by the idea of wearing a watch always find their way into threads about smart watches?

Agreed, have the pebble and the gear and still deciding which one to keep. Gear is much improved with the latest update and would be interested to see what else Samsung decide to do with it (unless they completely forget about it like they did with the galaxy camera).
Still prefer the omate truesmart over the pine as it seems more robust, although I couldn't imagine wearing either on a daily basis.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Agreed, have the pebble and the gear and still deciding which one to keep. Gear is much improved with the latest update and would be interested to see what else Samsung decide to do with it (unless they completely forget about it like they did with the galaxy camera).
Still prefer the omate truesmart over the pine as it seems more robust, although I couldn't imagine wearing either on a daily basis.

The Omate looks sweet, and if I had caught the kickstarter deal would have bought that one.

I can't imagine wearing one of these either. I think part of it is my inner geek just to have android and a fully functional cell phone on such a small device.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

That isnt obvious to me. In a time when a bigger screen is wanted by most, why would anyone want to replace their phone with a little watch? Those watches also wont do as much as our phones do.

As i said, i think those watches are really just worthless gimmicks and only those who love to have the newest things will want them. I really think most people will see no reason to get one.

I dont like to wear a watch so i dont have a reason to get one but i know many people feel naked without their watch, but is that reason enough to spend $180 on something they already have in their pocket?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
That isnt obvious to me. In a time when a bigger screen is wanted by most, why would anyone want to replace their phone with a little watch? Those watches also wont do as much as our phones do.

As i said, i think those watches are really just worthless gimmicks and only those who love to have the newest things will want them. I really think most people will see no reason to get one.

I dont like to wear a watch so i dont have a reason to get one but i know many people feel naked without their watch, but is that reason enough to spend $180 on something they already have in their pocket?

Who says "most" want a bigger screens? Sure bigger screens sell well, but I also still see iphones flying off the shelves. Just because you don't want a smaller screen doesn't mean others don't. Smartwatches is the hot thing right now, with Apple and Google set to release theirs soon. Some of the watches, like the Neptune, CAN do everything your phone does btw.

I'm not saying smartwatches are going to erase smartphones from the face of the earth, no of course not. But they are a viable replacement for a smartphone for some people. I think you are confusing companion watches like the Gear with full phone replacements like the Neptune.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Who says "most" want a bigger screens? Sure bigger screens sell well, but I also still see iphones flying off the shelves. Just because you don't want a smaller screen doesn't mean others don't. Smartwatches is the hot thing right now, with Apple and Google set to release theirs soon. Some of the watches, like the Neptune, CAN do everything your phone does btw.

I'm not saying smartwatches are going to erase smartphones from the face of the earth, no of course not. But they are a viable replacement for a smartphone for some people. I think you are confusing companion watches like the Gear with full phone replacements like the Neptune.

Well, you did say
I may be confusing the companion watches( the Samsung Gear to me is useless and being $299 is ridiculous) but i still think mostly electronic geeks will buy these. 80% marketshare of Android says people prefer bigger screens. Just sayin.

I wont critisize those that buy them. It is a gimmick that for me would wear off after a week but as i said, many people cant leave home without their watch and might be very drawn to these.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well, you did say

I may be confusing the companion watches( the Samsung Gear to me is useless and being $299 is ridiculous) but i still think mostly electronic geeks will buy these. 80% marketshare of Android says people prefer bigger screens. Just sayin.

I wont critisize those that buy them. It is a gimmick that for me would wear off after a week but as i said, many people cant leave home without their watch and might be very drawn to these.

Umm, "I'm not saying smartwatches are going to erase smartphones from the face of the earth" and "but you could replace your phone with the watch" are not saying the same thing at all.

I agree 100% with you on the Gear itself. Although I think "companion" smartwatches CAN be very popular, but they need a better form factor, thinner, better battery, less nerdy looking, etc. I don't think they are useless, but they are grossly overpriced, ugly as hell, etc. Apple and/or Google may change that.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Is there a current alternative to Neptune Pine Smartwatch? I mean, a truly standalone one without smartwatch dependency. Detachable with rear camera. Like a small smartwatch in your wrist!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.