Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsalvo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
Bimmy, an NES Emulator, is now available on the App Store:

The app is open source, if you prefer building it yourself with Xcode:

There are no ads or tracking of any kind. It works with quite a few ROMs, though not every mapper is supported. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_4147.png
    IMG_4147.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 116

Graphiar

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2024
Wow, this looks incredible! Just checked out the Xcode project on github, says it builds for 14.7+. Do you think you could build it for 15.X compatibility minimum on the App Store? I’m on iOS 15 ATM so I can’t test this.

Fantastic work!

tsalvo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
someone else also asked me about bringing the minimum version down, so I will look into that for the next release. I wanted to play it safe for the first round because I don’t have any test devices running older iOS versions. But I think if the simulator works fine, I should just allow it on older versions.

Reactions: Graphiar

infinitedreams

macrumors regular
May 3, 2017
1. Why is this categorised as a developer tool?
2. The privacy policy link on the App Store page directs you to the privacy policy for a different app.
3. I see you have blocked visionOS. Is there a technical reason for this?

tsalvo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2024
1. Why is this categorised as a developer tool?
2. The privacy policy link on the App Store page directs you to the privacy policy for a different app.
3. I see you have blocked visionOS. Is there a technical reason for this?
In the description, this app is intended as a developer tool, for testing home brew ROMs.

That is an error, which I can’t fix until the next version. Privacy Policy is here:

I have a branch on my GitHub for visionOS, and wasn’t happy with how the current iOS app worked with its virtual onscreen controller buttons. I hope to eventually release on visionOS (requiring a real controller, and using a native visionOS UI)

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Man, I've been waiting for Apple to lower the emulator restrictions for a long time. Thank you for this!

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Emulators for 80s and 90s systems thrive on other platforms. We just need the right developers to step up.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

wqopaqlp

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Thank you, but unfortunately, it is no longer possible to download this excellent app. I would like to know how to download the IPA file on iPhone as it seems that GitHub only has the open-source version for Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.