Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I wonder in which console generation will the limit be put… SNES/Genesis? PSX? Dreamcast? Actually even PS2 is retro nowadays…

ort888

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
I have a feeling modern iOS devices will be able to emulate up to the PS2/Dreamcast era fairly easily. I have a $120 handheld game player from china that can play PS2 games. Surely if that can, then any iPhone released in the last 7-8 years probably can as well.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Controls aren't great, but most games seem to load fine. Games where you need to rely on up/left or up/right or similar are pretty difficult to control.

Seems USA based are better than any global ROMs. Some specific games can't get past startup/splash screen to choose from the 1 player / 2 player menu. Looks like there might be external controller support. Might be a reason to get a bluetooth NES controller...

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
They really want to feel the Wrath of Nintendo.

I have a feeling modern iOS devices will be able to emulate up to the PS2/Dreamcast era fairly easily. I have a $120 handheld game player from china that can play PS2 games. Surely if that can, then any iPhone released in the last 7-8 years probably can as well.

The modern day iPhone should be able to run Switch games. Easily. Except for that one small problem...

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Waiting for someone to download and let me know if it’s legit or not. I waited on the gameboy one and it looks like I’m glad I did,
My initial attempts to launch games are failing. All I get is a black screen.
I've downloaded and loaded a couple of roms. No issues for me. It is a bit difficult to use the buttons on the iPhone 15 PM because of the small size, but it functionally works just fine for me. Will be great for when waiting in line at the grocery store. Definitely not meant for long gaming sessions.

breather

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
Is there a good (and hopefully not that expensive) controller for the iPad I can use with these games?
Wired or Wireless, don't matter.

ort888

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
Is there a good (and hopefully not that expensive) controller for the iPad I can use with these games?
Wired or Wireless, don't matter.

Yes, a bazillion of them. A company called 8BitDo makes decent affordable bluetooth controllers. You should be able to get a good one for $20-$30 on Amazon.

• Love
Reactions: mjs916 and breather

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
I’m so sorry everyone. I removed the app out of fear. No one reached out to me pressuring me to remove it. But I’d rather not have the risk
You did it literally as I was downloading it

IMG_47EA6B42F19D-1.jpeg

Edit: By the way, I don't think there's any risk associated with it. Since you didn't violate any license you should be in the clear.

TestedLion

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
There is nothing like this included with the app. However, I am on the fence about pulling the app anyway. It makes me nervous for it to be getting this much attention 😅
The internet police going to arrest you for downloading a car?

Anyway - love the concept of the app but the controls are total trash. Inconsistently "responsive" and makes game completely unplayable. Too bad, it's actually extremely quick (like, almost instant) to load a game and graphics/sound are great.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

breather

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
Yes, a bazillion of them. A company called 8BitDo makes decent affordable bluetooth controllers. You should be able to get a good one for $20-$30 on Amazon.
Never had the need for one so I was clueless, but good to know there is a few out there to chose from.
Anyone specific you recommend?

tsalvo

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
The internet police going to arrest you for downloading a car?

Anyway - love the concept of the app but the controls are total trash. Inconsistently "responsive" and makes game completely unplayable. Too bad, it's actually extremely quick (like, almost instant) to load a game and graphics/sound are great.
I’ll keep working on it on GitHub. I would like to adopt Apple’s GCVirtualController which is much better. But then the app would need to be landscape-only

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.