Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willydimes

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2014
Thanks for this. I actually went a different route and bought a Pi, that I set up last night. I was using the Homebridge app on iOS to get it going, but running into issues there. I need to do more research on my end for getting the Pi working.
if you think of it, keep us updated. I have a desktop that i set to run home bridge on start up so it will let me use it remotely etc without having to do anythign extra but I was thinking of getting a Pi to simplify it and not have to worry about screwing things up when or if i change the desktop

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
if you think of it, keep us updated. I have a desktop that i set to run home bridge on start up so it will let me use it remotely etc without having to do anythign extra but I was thinking of getting a Pi to simplify it and not have to worry about screwing things up when or if i change the desktop

I will. I had heard the Pi was the best/easiest way to get it going, but I know nothing when it comes to this stuff so I need to try and figure it all out.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
FYI, I've been running Homebridge on a Pi for probably a year now, and the Nest plugin for it has always worked just fine. It's great to be able to use Siri and Home app to set the temp!

Reactions: Weaselboy

DNichter

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Following up on this. I actually got everything set up and working through my existing QNAP NAS. It took a while, but everything looks to be working properly for now. I appreciate everyone's help in the thread! If you have a similar set up and want to know what steps I took, please reach out. It was relatively simple, even for an amateur like me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.