Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
I currently own a Nest thermostat & 1 Nest Protect. However, I am very intrigued by Apple's HomeKit and would like all my products use that. I've researched, and it seems that Nest is not going to use Apple's HomeKit. Is this true or am I missing something?

Should I begin to look into selling my Nest and purchasing the Honeywell which will use HomeKit? What do people think about the Honeywell thermostat that uses the HomeKit? Are there other thermostats in the making that will use HomeKit?

I couldn't find any smoke/co2 protectors that use HomeKit.

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nest is owned by Google now, so I'm pretty sure they'll not be to quick to embrace any more of Apple services.

Since you already spent a lot of money on the nest, I'd not buy the Honeywell. the Nest does currently have iOS integration, so what other options are you looking for?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Now that Nest is part of Google, it's something I plan to stay very far away from.

HalfMoonEditor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
Now that Nest is part of Google, it's something I plan to stay very far away from.

You may want to rethink the way you come to conclusions on things you know nothing about. I know several of the engineers at Nest, and moving away from iOS isn't even on the radar. It would be a stupid business decision and they already have embedded engineers just for iOS compatibility, not to mention many of their engineers are ex-Apple ones.

Besides, why would Nest give up half their embedded market just because it's iOS? Think before you post.

----------

Nest is owned by Google now, so I'm pretty sure they'll not be to quick to embrace any more of Apple services.

Quite the opposite.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
You may want to rethink the way you come to conclusions on things you know nothing about. I know several of the engineers at Nest, and moving away from iOS isn't even on the radar. It would be a stupid business decision and they already have embedded engineers just for iOS compatibility, not to mention many of their engineers are ex-Apple ones.

Besides, why would Nest give up half their embedded market just because it's iOS? Think before you post.

----------

Quite the opposite.

So you think Nest Thermostat will join HomeKit? It sounds like it's going to be Nest vs. HomeKit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Quite the opposite.
I disagree, its in Google's best interest to make sure that Apple services do not gain any early adopters. I'm sure Google as something up its sleeve, for the very reason that they bought Nest in the first place.

HalfMoonEditor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
I disagree, its in Google's best interest to make sure that Apple services do not gain any early adopters. I'm sure Google as something up its sleeve, for the very reason that they bought Nest in the first place.

Fair enough, but you're wrong. Google/Nest has no interest in abandoning iOS users as they were the majority of their early adopters.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

----------

Quite the opposite.

Staff engineers don't really have a say on company direction usually...

HalfMoonEditor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
Staff engineers don't really have a say on company direction usually...

No, but they know what their engineering pipeline is for the next few years.Look, you guys can say "Nest is done as far as iOS is concerned" simply because Google bought them all you want, but I have knowledge to the contrary, so that's all I have to go off of.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Fair enough, but you're wrong. Google/Nest has no interest in abandoning iOS users as they were the majority of their early adopters.

So please provide cite your source to say I'm wrong. I'm giving you my opinion that we'll not see new integration from Nest. Its my opinion, but since you're convinced I'm wrong, lets see the evidence to support that.

Edit:
Let me just add, I readily admit that I'm not the be all, end all of technology information. I'm offering my opinion of the future. I'll gladly accept my error, if you post some confirmation that Nest is planning on supporting Homekit.

Last edited:

HalfMoonEditor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
So please provide cite your source to say I'm wrong. I'm giving you my opinion that we'll not see new integration from Nest. Its my opinion, but since you're convinced I'm wrong, lets see the evidence to support that.

Evidence I have would cost people their jobs. I've been friends for over a decade with someone that I knew from my days at Apple who now works at Nest who manages a team of people that contradicts your claims. That's all I can say. You can believe me or not, but you're wrong, ultimately. You have your opinion, I have a first-hand source.

You can believe me or not, I don't care. But I'll be happily using my well-established Nest and Hue devices via HomeKit for the foreseeable future while the rest of you waddle over what new untested products to buy because they suddenly support HomeKit

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
No, but they know what their engineering pipeline is for the next few years.Look, you guys can say "Nest is done as far as iOS is concerned" simply because Google bought them all you want, but I have knowledge to the contrary, so that's all I have to go off of.

And usually, engineers don't provide company details to those not affiliated.

I have friends that are engineers all over and I don't know their product development cycle nor company plans as it is proprietary info. As an engineer myself, I don't talk strategy to people not with the company.

So, yes, I don't think you know as much as you are leading us to believe. I hope you are correct but I don't consider what you say to be reliable from my experience because "You have an engineering friend that works at nest"

HalfMoonEditor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
So, yes, I don't think you know as much as you are leading us to believe. I hope you are correct but I don't consider what you say to be reliable from my experience because "You have an engineering friend that works at nest"

That's fine, I don't care. I know what I know, you don't have to believe me.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I'm waiting for homekit before I buy any home automation stuff. I was going to get Nest before it was bought out by Google. I have Hue lights which is getting homekit integration...just waiting for other stuff like locks, garage opener, etc.

Siri voice control is the killer app for home automation. Star Trek is finally here :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.