Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Nested folders have existed and, could be fully utilized since iOS 7's early beta days. Today, in iOS 8.4 it is still accessible. Right now, I am curious if nested folders still work on iOS 9's beta?

nested folders are folders that are placed inside of folders. Currently, there are 2 tricks that can be used to create them.

Here is a example of a nested folder from my iPad (I used the reduce motion glitch to achieve this one!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 187

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2010
I had them on 8.3 before going to 9 and when I got to 9 it removed it... Annoying cos nested folders were great!

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I had them on 8.3 before going to 9 and when I got to 9 it removed it... Annoying cos nested folders were great!

Yeah, 2 things that are annoying about the nested folders is that during a iTunes Sync or, a iOS update, your folders will disappear and disband (due to not being reconized during a iTunes Backup)! This happened to me twice during a iTunes Sync when I was messing around with my iBooks and, another time where I had to put new songs on my iPad via tehtering (they were songs from a CD).

The first time, it took me 45 minutes to set my nested folders back up (using the combining folders way) and, the second time, I had a screenshot of each individual folder and it took me 10 minutes tops (while using the reduce motion way)!

Using the Reduce Motion glitch works best for me. Can you still put the folders back together via reduce motion glitch?

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I used to use nested folders but since I knew it was a bug, it would be bound to be fixed or cause other problems pertaining to stability and whatnot. I actually got my iPad to freeze really bad (would have to hard reset) because I was messing around and I put like 30 empty folders inside of empty folders inside of empty folders with one app at the end lol. I had to reset home screen layout to fix. Don't do that.

Oh and sorry I'm not really contributing that much, but what's the reduce motion glitch? I only know the glitch where you make a folder, have two other apps nearby and make a folder out of those. As you make the second folder you grab the other folder right before it zooms in, then you drop the folder you are holding into the new one. Bad way of explaining it but I'm sure you understand.

Last edited:

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I used to use nested folders but since I knew it was a bug, it would be bound to be fixed or cause other problems pertaining to stability and whatnot. I actually got my iPad to freeze really bad (would have to hard reset) because I was messing around and I put like 30 empty folders inside of empty folders inside of empty folders with one app at the end lol. I had to reset home screen layout to fix. Don't do that.

Oh and sorry I'm not really contributing that much, but what's the reduce motion glitch? I only know the glitch where you make a folder, have two other apps nearby and make a folder out of those. As you make the second folder you grab the other folder right before it zooms in, then you drop the folder you are holding into the new one. Bad way of explaining it but I'm sure you understand.

Its fine I understand. To tell you the truth, I knew that method (grab apps and combine folders way) before I observed and utilized the other trick (the reduce motion one).

Here is a link to a youtube video that should explain how to do it.

This video explains it really good and, my only tips are:

you can use any folder on any page (just make sure your nested folder is on the side of your iOS devices screen to preform this glitch easier )

Also, ensure that the folder where you want it to be the "master" (aka the folder that holds the nested folders is on your home dock)

Finally, ensure that your app dock is full (main apps that move around with the screen) [the one featured on the very bottom of your iOS device] and your "master folder" is one of those apps on your full Dock!

(By the way, I have only gone up to having one folder contain 6 other layered sub folders and, I did this because I was bored! My iPad resprings seldom [once a month] and, my iPad Air 32gb is still on 7.1.2 and, does not have that much free space [Tried same thing on my brother's iOS 8.x 16gb iPhone 5S that was full(memory) and to this day, it has never respringed])

Hope this info helps:)

Last edited:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Its fine I understand. To tell you the truth, I knew that method (grab apps and combine folders way) before I observed and utilized the other trick (the reduce motion one).

Here is a link to a youtube video that should explain how to do it.

This video explains it really good and, my only tips are:

you can use any folder on any page (just make sure your nested folder is on the side of your iOS devices screen to preform this glitch easier )

Also, ensure that the folder where you want it to be the "master" (aka the folder that holds the nested folders is on your home dock)

Finally, ensure that your app dock is full (main apps that move around with the screen) [the one featured on the very bottom of your iOS device] and your "master folder" is one of those apps on your full Dock!

(By the way, I have only gone up to having one folder contain 6 other layered sub folders and, I did this because I was bored! My iPad resprings seldom [once a month] and, my iPad Air 32gb is still on 7.1.2 and, does not have that much free space [Tried same thing on my brother's iOS 8.x 16gb iPhone 5S that was full(memory) and to this day, it has never respringed])

Hope this info helps:)
Oh, I see! Just taking advantage of the pathetically slow fading animation. Interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.