Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

objc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
I am trying to set up mac os x server to netboot macs. I successfully created a netboot image from leopard 10.5.1. I can even download the dmg in safari. However, when I try to netboot either with HTTP or NFS, the machine kernel panics because it can't download the file. Could someone tell me how to set up the HTTP or NFS server so that the netbooter can download the image? Thanks.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
I don't know why it kernal panicked, one would have to look at the log to see why. As far as netbooting goes, many use Bombichs software "Netrestore" which works much better than Apples SIU (what my Apple rep told me and what they have told me over the phone when trying to troubleshoot)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
There is a difference between NetBoot and NetRestore. NetRestore is used to deploy images to Mac over the network using the NetBoor service and ASR.

NetBooting can be used just to boot your Mac off a server.

If you want to deploy images over the network, then using Bombich's tools gives you more options.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
There is a difference between NetBoot and NetRestore. NetRestore is used to deploy images to Mac over the network using the NetBoor service and ASR.

NetBooting can be used just to boot your Mac off a server.

If you want to deploy images over the network, then using Bombich's tools gives you more options.
NetBoot can NetInstall though. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.