Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soid.exe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
New York, NY
I opened the updated Netflix iPad app this morning the raised subscription price, and I couldn't find the airplay button anymore. I contacted the support, and I was told that NetFlix won't AirPlay anymore for "technical limitations". I was referred to this page: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/49

"Airplay is no longer supported for use with Netflix due to technical limitations"

Is Netflix at war with Apple? It's a deal breaker for me, but I wonder how many people use it since no one seem to notice.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I only ever AirPlayed when I was on vacation at my sister’s house. I always use the tvOS app otherwise. No great loss for me. And now that I have an iPad Pro I no longer have a need to AirPlay at all. She has internet speeds fast enough for 4K, but she doesn’t have a 4K tv. I’m saving all the things I want to watch in 4K for my next vacation!

And of course Netflix/ are at war.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I guess I’m wondering the same. I mean if you have an tv why would you need to AirPlay?

Reactions: -Gonzo-

soid.exe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
New York, NY
I guess I’m wondering the same. I mean if you have an tv why would you need to AirPlay?
I like sometimes browsing the catalog from my phone or iPad and playing it on TV if I want. Also, the app often logs out, probably because I'm logged in from too many devices (iphone, 2 ipads, apple tv, 2 laptops - total 6), and login is not as convenient as on iOS or Mac. I have the 3rd gen Apple TV. Maybe it's not a problem with the new generation. I'm surprised nobody uses it. Like what if you wanna watch something and browsing the catalog, for example?

Reactions: Donfor39

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I remember when Netflix did the same thing with the AV output on the old 30 pin iPhone plug. In the olden days i'd stream Netflix to my TV via the iPhone etc. Sadly when I contact Netflix, they blamed Apple. I cancelled Netflix and havn't had it since although occasionally I miss it for the foreign films and nutrition documentaries - in reality, I simply don't have the time to watch Netflix.

Reactions: soid.exe

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I like sometimes browsing the catalog from my phone or iPad and playing it on TV if I want. Also, the app often logs out, probably because I'm logged in from too many devices (iphone, 2 ipads, apple tv, 2 laptops - total 6), and login is not as convenient as on iOS or Mac. I have the 3rd gen Apple TV. Maybe it's not a problem with the new generation. I'm surprised nobody uses it. Like what if you wanna watch something and browsing the catalog, for example?

I have an tv HD so it’s a non-issue. Also, when I browse I use Trakt.tv. Or I browse after I’m finished watching.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
A better way of doing it is if you have a device that has the Netflix app, like FireTV/cable box/smart TV (don't have an AppleTV so don't know if that can do it too?). You can select what you want on your iOS devices and then select it to cast to your FireTV etc. Means you can then do something else on your iOS device at the same time.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
A better way of doing it is if you have a device that has the Netflix app, like FireTV/cable box/smart TV (don't have an AppleTV so don't know if that can do it too?). You can select what you want on your iOS devices and then select it to cast to your FireTV etc. Means you can then do something else on your iOS device at the same time.

That’s how AirPlay works if you want to use another app. But not if you want to use the same app unless that’s built into the app.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I opened the updated Netflix iPad app this morning the raised subscription price, and I couldn't find the airplay button anymore. I contacted the support, and I was told that NetFlix won't AirPlay anymore for "technical limitations". I was referred to this page: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/49

"Airplay is no longer supported for use with Netflix due to technical limitations"

Is Netflix at war with Apple? It's a deal breaker for me, but I wonder how many people use it since no one seem to notice.

I noticed the update
Haven't found time to view Star Trek discovery via Netflix.
Thanks anyway.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Netflix is basically on every tv and device that connects to a tv. So really no need for AirPlay IMHO.

Reactions: JBaby

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I think loss of Airplay is a valid point.
Is this Netflix attempt since Apple t.v. Service is launched.
Apple does intend of course to drive viewers away from platforms such as Netflix etc.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
This is on Netflix. They choose whether to support AirPlay or not. Just like they are choosing to not join the TV app.

Slight disappointment as they did until recently support AirPlay.
OP has a valid point though which since has become obvious not worth pursuing.
For rapid flicks of iPhone or iPad to beam a Netflix programme was sometimes very convenient at short notice.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Slight disappointment as they did until recently support AirPlay.
OP has a valid point though which since has become obvious not worth pursuing.
For rapid flicks of iPhone or iPad to beam a Netflix programme was sometimes very convenient at short notice.

I agree, but I bet it’s not used as frequently as it once was. I believe features should be added and not taken away. Like I said I usually AirPlay Netflix the most when on vacation. When my sister is at work that’s when I watch. But it won’t bother me a bit to just watch on my iPad. But it is bad form on Netflix’s part. And to do it so sneakily is even worse.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I think it’s time for intermittent subscription for Netflix. They used to supoort PinP, now it’s AirPlay.

Well, I need money to try some new services anyway. 4 or 5 months a year should be enough.

jezzastern

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
This is not correct. Although the Airplay button in the Netflix IOS app has disappeared on the latest update, you can still airplay Netflix movies by invoking the control centre - swiping up from the bottom on the iPhone or inwards from the top right on the iPad. I have just tried it, and there are no problems with Airplay. However, why bother with Airplay, when you can watch Netflix directly from the Apple TV using the TV OS version?

Update:
I am now getting a Netflix error message when setting up airplay through the control centre, so disregard the above. Still able to watch Netflix on the TV using the Apple TV TV OS version, though.

Last edited:

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
This is not correct. Although the Airplay button in the Netflix IOS app has disappeared on the latest update, you can still airplay Netflix movies by invoking the control centre - swiping up from the bottom on the iPhone or inwards from the top right on the iPad. I have just tried it, and there are no problems with Airplay. However, why bother with Airplay, when you can watch Netflix directly from the Apple TV using the TV OS version?

You are partially correct that you can do it… for now. When there is no AirPlay button within the app that means AirPlay isn’t truly supported. Getting to it from Control Center just means this feature may continue to work or it may not. It’s hack-y at best and not something that can be relied upon. Also, OP isn’t on tvOS and has already explained why the need for AirPlay is so important to them. But like you it doesn’t make sense to me to AirPlay primarily when you have an tv.

Reactions: soid.exe

soid.exe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
New York, NY
You are partially correct that you can do it… for now. When there is no AirPlay button within the app that means AirPlay isn’t truly supported. Getting it to from Control Center just means this feature may continue to work or it may not. It’s hack-y at best and not something that can be relied upon. Also, OP isn’t on tvOS and has already explained why the need for AirPlay is so important to them. But like you it doesn’t make sense to me to AirPlay primarily when you have an tv.
I believe jezzastern refers to the screen mirroring feature which limited by the resolution of the phone and the phone being always on.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I believe jezzastern refers to the screen mirroring feature which limited by the resolution of the phone and the phone being always on.

If that’s the case then that a ridiculous recommendation. That would look horrible! Ewww! Also, it doesn’t work. I just tried it.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I think it’s time for intermittent subscription for Netflix. They used to supoort PinP, now it’s AirPlay.

Well, I need money to try some new services anyway. 4 or 5 months a year should be enough.

PiP is still supported. I just tried it. But I’ve been thinking about adding Netflix to my rotating services list.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
It would be nice if there was some way to force apps to conform to platform standards so that we could have AirPlay and PiP support on all media apps on our iPads.

(Looking at you YouTube)

Reactions: JBaby

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Tried airplay tonight from iPhonexs then iPad 11"
Only got time bar black screen and spinning circle and an a VF type error.
Of course this could be Netflix wanting their customers to view their content selection from their app.
In addition to this loss I have never managed to get AirPlay 2 connected

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Tried airplay tonight from iPhonexs then iPad 11"
Only got time bar black screen and spinning circle and an a VF type error.
Of course this could be Netflix wanting their customers to view their content selection from their app.
In addition to this loss I have never managed to get AirPlay 2 connected
This was what I got too.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
PiP is still supported. I just tried it. But I’ve been thinking about adding Netflix to my rotating services list.

You’re right. It’s there.. without a button to show it’s there.

I’m developing a 3-2 formula :D in which for 10 months there will be 6 months Netflix free and 4 months full of Netflix binge watchings. Now the saved money can go to some News+ and Arcade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.