Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdfox7

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 30, 2022
USA
I can confirm it DOES NOT work in Catalina, but funny enough:

(truncated)

Their support pages are clearly out of date. My iPad with iOS 5.1.1 can no longer connect to the App Store, period.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/113160

Capture.PNG

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
It is mostly dependent on Chrome development. Chrome is supporting Catalina and higher and Netflix works on HS and Mojave with a hack for now, but the browser will not be updated anymore so they will be gone at some point. I am sure Gecko browsers are in the same shoes.
Safari which uses Silverlight will not play Netflix because Netflix ended support for Silverlight on September 13, 2023. Only newer versions of Safari sans silverlight will work.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
For Chromium the problem is not in the Widevine component as it can be tested here:
and it plays the video protected by widevine.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I opened a case with Netflix and the support told me to update the OS. I told them about their website and they replied that they're probably gonna fix it.
Now they did.

Still stupid. I installed Fedora and now it works. I know most people don't care, but the machines are obviously still perfectly capable.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I know, that's my point. I totally get why it can't be supported forever, but it is quite unnecessary to retire a machine just because its discontinued software support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.