Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkahdafi

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
Hi,

can someone confirm whether the Netflix app on the current ATV supports Dolby Vision? I am reading contradicting statements about this. Some reviews say it does, Netflix's own website only lists HDR as supported, but not DV.

Thanks

tonyk23

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Hi,

can someone confirm whether the Netflix app on the current ATV supports Dolby Vision? I am reading contradicting statements about this. Some reviews say it does, Netflix's own website only lists HDR as supported, but not DV.

Thanks

I believe it does as the screens for all the shows in HDR display with the DolbyVision logo even on non DV TV's like my Samsung.

funkahdafi

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
I believe it does as the screens for all the shows in HDR display with the DolbyVision logo even on non DV TV's like my Samsung.

Thanks! But wait... it displays the DV logo even if you don't have a DV screen attached? FFS Apple, what are you doing.

Can anyone with a DV screen confirm that it actually kicks in DV mode on your TV? Or will it stream HDR?

malcbo

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Switzerland
The ATV4K Netflix App does indeed stream Dolby Vision on my LG OLED.
I'm not having such luck with my LG OLED (C7 with latest firmware)...

When trying to watch on the Netflix App a serie with DV (Altered Carbon / Lost in Space), I get the spinning wheel followed by an error message "Code: 3-0". Non-DV videos stream without an issue.
No problem playing DV videos through the Netflix built-in LG TV App, but less convenient as I need to use the LG TV remote.

On the other hand, watching DV movies from iTunes App works perfectly, as well as watching HDR videos from Infuse App.

I tried changing the video settings in the ATV menus but that did not bring any improvement.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Lost in Space streaming perfectly fine in DV via Netflix ATV4K app on my C7. Is that error code a Netflix error message? You may want to take it up with them.

malcbo

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Switzerland
Lost in Space streaming perfectly fine in DV via Netflix ATV4K app on my C7. Is that error code a Netflix error message? You may want to take it up with them.
It is indeed a Netflix error message:
533165.jpg

You're right, I'll have to take this up with Netflix.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I have mine set to 4k STD all the time and match content. So when I enter Netflix and the show is in DV it will switch based on the content.

I dont want EVERYTHING (including the menu) to be forced to DV.

Dgame1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Hi i have a samsung hdr 4k tv but not dolby vision, should my setting for the atv 4k would be 4k hdr?

Dgame1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
You can set the ATV to 4k sdr. When you play DV or HDR content from Netflix, the ATV and HDTV should automatically switch to HDR/DV mode.

So i will just permanently set my setting to just 4k sdr?
And if ever i will watch just 1080p vide on netflix the atv will automatically switch to just 1080?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So i will just permanently set my setting to just 4k sdr?
And if ever i will watch just 1080p vide on netflix the atv will automatically switch to just 1080?
If I set my Apple TV to output 4k SDR, all 1080p content is upscaled to 4k before being sent to the TV.

If I set the Apple TV to output 1080p SDR, playing 1080p from iTunes and Netflix sends a 1080p signal to my TV.

If I set the Apple TV to output 1080p SDR, playing 4k DV files from iTunes and Netflix sends a 1080p DV signal to my TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.