Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today officially launched [Google Translate] its subscription movie and TV show service in Germany, and as noted by ifun.de [Google Translate], the launch includes day-one support on the Apple TV.

netflix_germany_apple_tv.jpg
Apple has significantly expanded content offerings on the Apple TV over the past year or two, but many of the additions have been limited to the United States. The Netflix channel has, however, been available in many of the markets served by Netflix, which has included the U.S., Latin America, and a number of countries in Europe. As a result, it is unsurprising that the channel has expanded to Germany, but viewers there will be happy to see Apple TV support arriving right alongside the general launch of Netflix in the country.

Article Link: Netflix Launches in Germany, Including on Apple TV

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
How Netflix for U.S. start adding movies and TV Shows instead of worrying about expanding when the company started here first.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
How Netflix for U.S. start adding movies and TV Shows instead of worrying about expanding when the company started here first.

Pretty sure Netflix will make more money expanding vs. adding more movies. It's called business. Do you really think they aren't trying to do both?

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Anyone know if it will give the option to watch original content in the original language? 99% of content on German TV is dubbed. A lot of my German friends would welcome the ability to watch in English with either English or German subtitles...

bradbear

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
For the love god please Netflix come to Australia. Our pay t.v is a blatant rip. I think it's $100 a month. And they wonder why us Aussies source our movies and t.v from else where.

Nils!

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
Anyone know if it will give the option to watch original content in the original language? 99% of content on German TV is dubbed. A lot of my German friends would welcome the ability to watch in English with either English or German subtitles...

Yeah, they have both languages. Thats why I was waiting for netflix for so long... However I guess they only got a 2TB server for Germany, since the the available content is pretty limited.

SBehn

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
AnyonNe know if it will give the option to watch original content in the original language? 99% of content on German TV is dubbed. A lot of my German friends would welcome the ability to watch in English with either English or German subtitles...

So far everything I tried on the Apple TV Netflix channel is english/original sound. In the web-app I can actually switch between german and english. Havent found that switch in the Apple TV channel though.

I tried House of Cards, some movie etc.

Edit: Nils! you beat me to it ;)

Nils!

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
So far everything I tried on the Apple TV Netflix channel is english/original sound. In the web-app I can actually switch between german and english. Havent found that switch in the Apple TV channel though.

I tried House of Cards, some movie etc.

Edit: Nils! you beat me to it ;)

Damn, it is just on the website? so on the Apple TV is it german by default??

peterbaby

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Damn, it is just on the website? so on the Apple TV is it german by default??

Usually Netflix on Apple TV (or on Rokus) does NOT have a specific language setting, it uses the language setting of the main device. So you should define English as the language of your German Apple TV, and the German Netflix should automatically stream in English (of course, if the said show is available in Germany with the original track).
I haven't tried, but that's usually the way it works on TV Streaming devices.

I admit this isn't practical for many European users.
Say you want to watch an original US series in English, and then a German film in German instead of dubbed in English... you need to go back to the main Apple TV menu and change the language again.
The whole system is thought out for people who only understand one language...somebody needs to tell our US friends that even *their* brains can handle more ;-)

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
just read that Gotham wont be on Netflix before it has finished its run on tv which is kinda lame considering Netflix bought its world wide streaming rights. I guess RTL has an automatic "first serve" right.
all the content ownership licencing stuff is a wild jungle its insane

Rubik

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Berlin, Germany
Say you want to watch an original US series in English, and then a German film in German instead of dubbed in English... you need to go back to the main Apple TV menu and change the language again.
The whole system is thought out for people who only understand one language...somebody needs to tell our US friends that even *their* brains can handle more ;-)
You can just change the language on-the-fly whenever you want while watching the movie/show by holding down the button in the center on your remote (or the option button in the lower left of your remote app). It even supports subtitles.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

Netflix in the USA shows almost all foreign films subtitled... so I imagine they would do the same elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.