Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nacho98

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Just bought an ATV 4K.

Being forced to have 60% of the home screen taken up with ******** blaring auto play previews while I'm trying to search for something to watch is driving me insane already.

I can only see ONE row of movies or shows, which only lets me see four lousy thumbnails while I'm trying to find something, AND I'm stuck with this blaring auto play crap taking up 60% of my screen?

I went to Netflix.com and turned off test participation AND auto play next episode, and it's still doing it.

Is there any way at all to turn this **** off and let me have a full screen to scroll through content when I want to browse?

Last edited:

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
"I "TOTALLY AGREE"!!" That's why I like the widgets on my TV and Dish STB. They don't have the Preview/Intros. Just stills like all the other "regular" services.

I know Netflix is getting a rash of **** for it. But they don't care. The amount of feedback only lets them know how many people are paying attention. Marketing loves that kind of stuff.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
so theres no way to turn it off?
Nope not at the moment. And the worrying thing is if everyone else starts doing it (Apple TV+, Disney+, Peacock, HBO Max etc) then it'll be harder to get it disabled.

It should at least be an option

Reactions: Nacho98

Icelus

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
I'm still using an Apple TV 3rd gen and thinking about buying an Apple TV 4K but was wondering about this. The 3rd gen Netflix app has no preview auto play and I hate this "feature" in a browser.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Just bought an ATV 4K.

Being forced to have 60% of the home screen taken up with ******** blaring auto play previews while I'm trying to search for something to watch is driving me insane already.

I can only see ONE row of movies or shows, which only lets me see four lousy thumbnails while I'm trying to find something, AND I'm stuck with this blaring auto play crap taking up 60% of my screen?

I went to Netflix.com and turned off test participation AND auto play next episode, and it's still doing it.

I’ve complained about the auto-play trailers forever. This is all on Netflix. They just don’t care. It baffles me that they’ve arrived at the conclusion that this will make them more money somehow. There’s no other reason to do it.

Same goes for auto-play after you’ve watched something. Sometimes I actually want to see the end credits and listen to the music. The ATV app has a “settings” screen but there’s literally no settings to manipulate in there.

NayborAxi

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
I dont know how to do it with an apple tv but on pc with google chrome or firefox you can use an extension called ublock and you can easily block the autoplay crap from nexflix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.