Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
On my Apple TV (version before the 4K version, TV OS 12.1) I routed the HDMI cable from the Apple TV to my Denon receiver and then to the tv. That worked for years for all apps. Now it doesn't for Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, And Movies Anywhere. It still works for iTunes movies. On Netflix, I get audio only for the movie itself though I get audio and video for the previews. On some of the other apps, I get an error saying that it cannot connect to the monitor with a HDCP connection (or something like that). If I connect directly to the TV, Netflix works. I haven't tested the other apps yet. So basically, either iTunes is not testing for a 'secure' connection or third party apps no longer know how to test for secure connections when the signal passes through a receiver or the Denon receiver is somehow blocking the secure connection test.

Anyone else having similar issues?

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Is the Denon running the latest firmware?
Yes it is. I just checked for an update. As for version number, all the receiver tells you is "Latest". How informative.

Edit: If you to go the Firmware option and select update, the receiver only tells you that the firmware is 'latest' if you check for updates. If you go to General Information > Firmware, you are shown the firmware version. Mine is (for and AVR-2113CI)

9290-3169-0000-0532-8097

Last edited:
Reactions: Audit13

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Not sure what has happened. Could it be am HDMI cable problem?
It could be but it is odd that iTunes plays movies though the receiver but the apps don't. I'll do some cable swapping tomorrow. I can also swap it out with a 4k Apple TV to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your input.

I also went to Denon's web site and downloaded firmware but it is dated March 2018 which is about when I recall the last time the receiver updated the firmware. Updating the firmware via a USB drive is a last resort for me as the receiver is already saying it has the latest version.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I hope you have success by swapping around some cables.

Please report back.

Thanks.
Will do.
[doublepost=1541293926][/doublepost]Issue resolved.
Cause of the original problem: unknown.

Earlier today, thinking the problem might be the cable from the Apple TV to the receiver, I unplugged and re-plugged both ends of the HDMI cord from the Apple TV to the receiver. I did the same for the cable from the receiver to the tv. That didn't fix things. Rather than dig around for extra cables, I decided to swap out the Apple TV (version just prior to 4k) with the 4K Apple TV I have in my bedroom. That worked using the route through the receiver. Ha! Maybe it is a pre-4k Apple TV vs 4k Apple TV quirk! Nope. As a test I swapped back the pre-4K Apple TV and it works. Fixed but the cause remains a mystery.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.