Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Hey, has anyone had their max heat abnormally on the backside under the camera while watching Netflix?

Or noticed when watching, pausing to adjust brightness and coming back adjusts and changes the colors within the content?

I think these might be particularly limited to when watching HDR content.

Reactions: Teacer

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I would say it’s uncomfortable, but I wouldn’t say it’s unbearable. Let me put it this way: I wouldn’t watch a 40 minute show holding it. I’d stop within maybe 10-15 minutes.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Mine only gets very hot if I’m on Facebook more than a few minutes. It’s annoying. When using Netflix, it gets slightly warm, but not very hot like when I’m using Facebook. Sorry, I’m not much help.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Mine only gets very hot if I’m on Facebook more than a few minutes. It’s annoying. When using Netflix, it gets slightly warm, but not very hot like when I’m using Facebook. Sorry, I’m not much help.
I’ve narrowed it down to watching HDR specific content on Netflix. Have you been watching that type of content?

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Do you watch it on full brightness? It possible.
No. But even if I adjust the brightness, the picture color and brightness changes after the fact.
[doublepost=1542254175][/doublepost]
Can you get HDR on a 1080p stream?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23927

"iPhone X, XS, and XS Max support streaming up to 1080p"
I believe so. But do you know how you can check what detail you are streaming?
[doublepost=1542254258][/doublepost]I will update this thread later today with a video so I can try and show you what is happening on screen after adjusting brightness. I can’t record the heat, I don’t have a spot thermostat.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The only Netflix streaming info tool that I know is

https://bgr.com/2018/11/13/best-netflix-movies-plugin-everyone-should-have/

and it only seems to work on Chrome desktop. But found another article on the Netflix site which seems to say it does:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23927

Netflix is available in Dolby Vision on the following iOS devices:

NOTE:

Devices must run the latest version of iOS for Dolby Vision playback to work properly.
  • iPad Pro 2nd generation or higher

• iPhone 8 or higher

Last edited:

doommaker

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
How about battery life on Netflix? My wife has the same issue of heating and also draining battery super fast while watching Netflix on her XS. It gets noticeably warm in leather case. It drains 60% battery for watching 90min video on wi-fi in standard quality, low brightness. Version was Netflix 11.11.0 on iOS12.1. Factory resetting (or anything I could think of) didn't fix it.
She returned the phone just in case there might be a hardware issue (I doubt it though). But Netflix on my ipad works just fine. Will buy another XS or Max and see.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I usually watch Netflix during my break at work. I have noticed the past two days that my Xs is warm once I'm done watching an episode of a show. I haven't experience my device being warm until yesterday. Battery seems to be impacted as well. Brightness is usually set below 50% too, so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

I have found that after about a couple minutes or so after I'm down with the Netflix app, my Xs cools down. I'm under the impression it has to be Netflix, since my phone doesn't exhibit being warm while using other apps during the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.