Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Ok, I have the Feed Demon desktop application which syncs to News Gator for all my RSS feeds. Net News wire sync with news gator as well so whatever I read at my desktop, it's sync'd with net news wire on my iPhone.

How would I go about using Newsstand? Do I have to re-add all my RSS feeds? Will using Newsstand be redundant in managing Feeddemon and Newsstand.

I like the sync'ng of NetNewsWire but it's just not superior to the abilities of Newsstand.

Please help...I would like to use Newsstand instead....but don't know how everything would work or how I would use it, efficiently.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
It looks as if you should be able to save your RSS feeds in your current desktop application as an OPML and upload it to bloglines.com.

Attachments

• newsstand 003.PNG
    newsstand 003.PNG
    72.9 KB · Views: 687

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
You don't.

Netnewswire, Feedgator and Newsgator are the same company.

It is there syncing service. AFAIK they do not allow third party iphone apps to use it, which makes sense since it was they that spent the money to build a syncing service.

Not Newsstand.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
You don't.

Netnewswire, Feedgator and Newsgator are the same company.

It is there syncing service. AFAIK they do not allow third party iphone apps to use it, which makes sense since it was they that spent the money to build a syncing service.

Not Newsstand.

Ok, I am trying to convert to Bloglines, instead of using newsgator to store my feeds. I will still use the client Feed Demon and from my understanding, you can use Bloglines with Feeddemon, it's just the store would be with bloglines versus newsgator.

Exported to OPML file all my feeds from Feeddemon/newsgator and imported into bloglines. Using Newsstand now so we'll see how this works.

Hopefully, anything read on Feeddemon would be reflected into bloglines...then all is good.

Anyone else can confirm...chime in?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Please detail your experience. There is not a single RSS Reader that meets my needs. Manifesto is by far my favorite, there is no way however, to sync to a cloud :( I'm on Google reader and Newsgator and keeping everyone in sync is a nightmare. NetNewsWire just wasn't up to the task.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Please detail your experience. There is not a single RSS Reader that meets my needs. Manifesto is by far my favorite, there is no way however, to sync to a cloud :( I'm on Google reader and Newsgator and keeping everyone in sync is a nightmare. NetNewsWire just wasn't up to the task.

Ok, here is how I want to use the RSS reader for the iPhone.

1. When I'm on the laptop or desktop, I would use feeddemon to read my RSS subscribed feeds. It syncs with newsgator so anytime I reinstall feed demon anywhere on other computers, it's sync'd in newsgator and I don't have to keep adding the RSS feeds. (this is how I used it before the iPhone).

2. Now that I have an iPhone, they released NetNewsWire, great right? Well, it syncs with newsgator and all and behold, all my RSS feeds are there, anything I read on my iphone, when I get home, I don't have to read it again because it has been marked read. Basically, it's sync'd.

However, Netnewswire isn't a great application, there are many downfalls to it. I'm not even going to get started on it and it seems like the best RSS reader for the iPhone is newsstand. So now the question is how do I start using my current news feeds on news gator to newsstand.

Someone suggested using Bloglines. So what I did was export my RSS feeds from newsgator as OPML and then imported into bloglines, logged on using Newsstand to import my RSS feeds and it works. However, it doesn't really sync. I read things within Newsstand on my iPhone and well, once read that's it.

I'm presuming, I have to keep re-importing things using bloglinesl Arrgghh...not a fluid process.

So...any suggestions or am I missing anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.