Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
Hey everyone, I just noticed recently that a popular cross-platform browser, which is still being maintained and updated and is currently used in several popular operating systems, as their default browsers is also available for PowerPC-based Macs running 10.5.8 through MacPorts. I'm not posting a guide because there are plenty of instructions on this forum located here if you're not sure, but I just wanted to make some aware that it is buildable on Leopard. It uses its own web engine separate from WebKit, which has its pros in terms of speed on these machines. The downside with its own engine is that some websites do not properly render, but it might not be a bad option to have just so you can say you have a somewhat supported browser. Commits and releases are still being done and you can follow here. Here's their website. Dillo is another browser not available in MacPorts, but it is also compilable on PowerPC 10.5.8 and recently began being revived by the original developer. But stay away from the old Dillon website as it was purchased by another entity hence the reason the website hasn’t been updated in years. The original developer moved everything over to there git located here! Happy Marchintosh!

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
NetSurf will probably not build at the moment: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/69110

Neither is particularly useful, AFAIK, anyway.

Out best bet with browsers is fixing some fork of Palemoon (White Star or Arctic Fox, for example).
No, I patched it and created the diff files. I just haven't uploaded them yet. I'm playing with getting them both to build on Tiger without success. Leopard is working perfectly fine, and I managed to get it building on 10a190. Tiger is my next target along with fixing some of the other broken stuff. I had surgery, so I'm out of work for a month, and if I find enough time, I'm going to try to mess around with Pale Moon. Thanks to a few admins they got it build and I have it successfully building as well, but there are some weird segfaulting issues. I think I have an idea; I don't know if it'll work, but we shall see. - Cheers.

Reactions: galgot

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
No, I patched it and created the diff files. I just haven't uploaded them yet. I'm playing with getting them both to build on Tiger without success. Leopard is working perfectly fine, and I managed to get it building on 10a190.

Could you make a PR to close that Trac ticket then? That would be nice.
(It is preferable not to make 10a190-specific patches, since there are people who do not like it, so those may be difficult to merge. However, _getline issue is not specific to 10a190, that symbol is missing < 10.7.)

I'm going to try to mess around with Pale Moon. Thanks to a few admins they got it build and I have it successfully building as well, but there are some weird segfaulting issues. I think I have an idea; I don't know if it'll work, but we shall see. - Cheers.

You have seen these, right?

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
No, I patched it and created the diff files. I just haven't uploaded them yet. I'm playing with getting them both to build on Tiger without success. Leopard is working perfectly fine, and I managed to get it building on 10a190. Tiger is my next target along with fixing some of the other broken stuff. I had surgery, so I'm out of work for a month, and if I find enough time, I'm going to try to mess around with Pale Moon. Thanks to a few admins they got it build and I have it successfully building as well, but there are some weird segfaulting issues. I think I have an idea; I don't know if it'll work, but we shall see. - Cheers.

Hi, any update on the fixes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.