Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thmsnt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2023
Ever since iOS 17 (and now 17.1 as of today), there is a bug in Safari on my iPad Pro 12.9 where the network activity indicator keeps spinning endlessly despite all tabs having been loaded. The only way to get rid of this is to kill Safari and re-open it, but it will eventually come back. Anyone else seeing this? Really thought the 17.1 update today would fix it!

1698267726310.png

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've seen this come up every now and then on iPadOS going back several years. No idea what causes it. Seems to be benign otherwise, but a reboot has usually stopped it. Might come up for me once every 4-6 weeks or so.

Reactions: thmsnt

thmsnt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2023
I've seen this come up every now and then on iPadOS going back several years. No idea what causes it. Seems to be benign otherwise, but a reboot has usually stopped it. Might come up for me once every 4-6 weeks or so.
Will try a reboot, thanks. I’ve had my iPad since May 2023 and never had this bug before iOS 17.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
Ever since iOS 17 (and now 17.1 as of today), there is a bug in Safari on my iPad Pro 12.9 where the network activity indicator keeps spinning endlessly despite all tabs having been loaded. The only way to get rid of this is to kill Safari and re-open it, but it will eventually come back. Anyone else seeing this? Really thought the 17.1 update today would fix it!

View attachment 2302068
I’ve been seeing the same behavior under iPad OS 17.0 and .1. Never saw it before that.

Reactions: DT56 and thmsnt

DT56

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2023
I never had this problem on my iPad Pro until I updated to iOS 17. Even with the few software updates since, the problem remains and affects any website I access. It is especially problematic when making online purchases that get hung up because of the constant network activity spinner. I will never update my iPhone past iOS 16. Apple has something running in the background with iOS 17 that we are not privy to know. None of the fixes suggested online do anything to stop the spinner. C’mon Apple, what are you doing and why?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Ah, went and check on my ipad pro 11 M1 and I have it as well.
But I only get it when Safari is "loading" something, when its not doing anything it disapears.

Haven't noticed this before. I wonder if its a "feature" to give the used an idea that the network is being used.
But at the same time it doesn't really make sense as it would only apply to Safari or apps using Safari components.

If I use Firefox it doesn't appear or apps that seem not to rely on Safari webbrowser components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.