Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I’ve got a basic question, I hope. I have three Mac pros I want to Network go outside of a store who may “despair dark climate for years in on Friday in California. Basically I want to set up screen sharing or networking in the network utility. This has worked previously and that’s fine except I have this problem when I hit share screen that it wants the username and password, and it never excepts the password. So I’m wondering is this a unique password that I may have inadvertently set up sometime in the past it has nothing to do with the password I use for the Macs themselves. and if so, can I change the password and how do I do it. Thanks. These are connect via Ethernet.

I’ve tried the password of the basic Mac I’m on and of the other ones, in two cases they’re the same password.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Hm. No ideas? I would assume the password is the password for the Mac in question. I don’t know why they’re not work.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
When had multiple macs then a user account configured on the Mac and all logged in with same iCloud account.

would then select the Mac and right click and connect.

didn’t prompt me as was logged into the target max with same iCloud account, ie Apple ID.

however May sound stupid, however who have you said is allowed to screen share on the target mac.

just fired up mine and enabled screen sharing and by default only administrators are allowed. If wanted another account to be able to connnect then have to add them from the list.

so if using a non administrator account to try and connect then wouldn’t work.

as you said using basic Mac account and being promoted then making a guess that not all on same Apple ID logged into the boxes and/or using a non-admin account to do normal every day work.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Sorry for delayed response. I only just read this. Silly as it sounds but I’m the administrator and the only user of the three Macs. I’ll try this again tomorrow when I’m back. I try not to use iCloud. Maybe that’s the problem if it assumes I’m signing in using my iCloud account. This could be it. Thank you.

StephenM108

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2023
Is this the place to ask a question? I recently changed the vBios for my new graphics card and now I have a black screen. The iMac boots up into Bootcamp windows 10 I can hear the fans startup once I entered my use password although with a blackscreen and I want to view whats going on behind the scenes. Maybe I can change the vBios remotely. I only have a windows 11 laptop and this iMac. Is there a way to wire the two computers up with HDMI and Mini disply port. Or SSH or anything else? I have a mid 2010 iMac with Opencore 0.6.8 and Ventura 13.6. 27 inch 11,3 iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.