Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bAck2beAt84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Ayo. I'm new here. I searched the forums inside and out for the solution to this, however, I believe my debacle is a bit more complicated.

I'm at the University of Pitt in a room without wireless network [stupid, right?]

I connect my Macbook to the ethernet port in the wall and get internet from there. I'm not allowed to plug the Xbox into the wall port because of Unversity stipulations. I need to share it through my Macbook.

I've purchased an Apple Ethernet to USB port along with a 25' crossover cable AND a regular 25' CAT5.

I plug the USBport into the Macbook, connect the crossover into it, then plug the ethernet into my Xbox. I understand there is SO much more to successfully connecting, but I'm not nearly as educated in this as I'd like to be. Outside of this forum, I've seen numerous solutions for wireless networking, but unfortunately, my building is one of the only ones that doesn't have it in Pittsburgh - F my L, right?

If ANYONE could leave some feedback, it would be much appreciated - My addiction to CoD4 is slowly eating away at my sanity.

DNSgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Does your X360 have wireless networking? If so, just go to your Sharing panel in System Preferences, and enable Internet Sharing. You want to set it to share your Ethernet connection with your Airport connection. Once on, go to the Network panel, and highlight AirPort. Click on the Network Name: pulldown menu, and select Create Network. Name your network, then check the box for Require Password and follow the instructions for creating one. (128 bit would be better) - Now go to the settings on your X360 and find the network you created, enter the password, and you should be good to go.

bAck2beAt84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Does your X360 have wireless networking? If so, just go to your Sharing panel in System Preferences, and enable Internet Sharing. You want to set it to share your Ethernet connection with your Airport connection. Once on, go to the Network panel, and highlight AirPort. Click on the Network Name: pulldown menu, and select Create Network. Name your network, then check the box for Require Password and follow the instructions for creating one. (128 bit would be better) - Now go to the settings on your X360 and find the network you created, enter the password, and you should be good to go.

Thanks for that information...but I need the Xbox Wireless Adapter to do that, correct? I'm NOT trying to shell out a 1spot to do this, but thank you.

Are you turning on Internet Sharing in the Sharing prefpane? Also, using a crossover isn't necessary. That might be part of the problem?

Also, to make sure the DHCP server functions correctly on the Mac doling out IPs to the 360, read here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304

I needed to do this to share ethernet with my 360 via a tethered blackberry.

yellow, thank you too...I'm in the process of trying these steps out so I'll post back up here how things are going.

cheers m8s.

bAck2beAt84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
So, I went to the Sharing Pane and tried to share my Internet connection, but for some reason the "Internet Sharing: Off" never turned to on.

I have it set to "Share connection from: PITT" (my source)

Then in order to bypass the university's shatty rules, I click "To computers using: USB Ethernet (en2)"

The en2 popped up next to USB Ethernet after I plugged it in, so I'm pretty sure those settings are correct; however, the internet sharing light grays out instead of changing from red to green.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
In principle, your setup should work. But you should probably plugin your USB Ethernet adaptor -before- you switch on Internet Connection Sharing.

I know that the Xbox 360 can access the Internet through Apple's Internet Connection Sharing, because I'm also doing this here -- I even share a UMTS/3G USB connection with my Xbox -and- an Airport connection with my girl friend at the same time.

In your case, I think selecting "From Pitt" to "computers using "USB (en2)" and then checking "Internet Sharing" -should- work.

However, even if you get ICS up and running, you might run into some other issues; if your network is blocking some or all of the ports that the Xbox requires to communicate with Xbox Live, the setup will be rather useless.

Another note: If you want to use your Xbox to stream media from your Mac, you should try Nullsoft's "Connect 360".

bAck2beAt84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
In principle, your setup should work. But you should probably plugin your USB Ethernet adaptor -before- you switch on Internet Connection Sharing.

I know that the Xbox 360 can access the Internet through Apple's Internet Connection Sharing, because I'm also doing this here -- I even share a UMTS/3G USB connection with my Xbox -and- an Airport connection with my girl friend at the same time.

In your case, I think selecting "From Pitt" to "computers using "USB (en2)" and then checking "Internet Sharing" -should- work.

However, even if you get ICS up and running, you might run into some other issues; if your network is blocking some or all of the ports that the Xbox requires to communicate with Xbox Live, the setup will be rather useless.

Another note: If you want to use your Xbox to stream media from your Mac, you should try Nullsoft's "Connect 360".

Okay, so I got the Internet Sharing on (I didn't know I had to check that box afterwards); however, I still am not connected. Right now it's a connection FROM Pitt, TO USB Ethernet (en2).

A while back when I asked some others about how to go about setting this up, they said a crossover cable WOULD be needed. I don't know why; I thought that crossovers were needed for PC to PCs (unless Xboxs are considered PCs in this case).

So much stuff to consider...it's like a string of christmas tree lights with one not working.

If anyone has had any success with this subject please lend me a hand here.

Cheers.

bAck2beAt84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Are you turning on Internet Sharing in the Sharing prefpane? Also, using a crossover isn't necessary. That might be part of the problem?

Also, to make sure the DHCP server functions correctly on the Mac doling out IPs to the 360, read here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304

I needed to do this to share ethernet with my 360 via a tethered blackberry.

To expand on your help, I visited that site and tried to mess with Terminal and the DHCP Servers...

I have 10.5.6 OSX, but it still says that the directory for bootdp.plist didn't exist. I ls'ed everything relevant but still couldn't find a bootdp.plist. Internet Sharing is definitely on, as well, so shouldn't a /tmp/bootdp.plist be generated?

I'm guessing that this might be why I can't connect. Still no network connection, internet connection, and most importantly, no discovered DNS servers. Suggestions? :confused:

kthxbai. :apple:

- backbeat

bAck2beAt84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Alright, so i've been doing more investigating and I'm almost there.

Right now, my connection gets me far enough to satisfy the "Network" portion of the Xbox Live scenario.

I have these two networks set up right now:

PITT: configure using DHCP
IP Address: 130.49.22.13
Submask: 255.255.0.0
Router: 130.49.20.1

USB Ethernet: configure manually
IP Address: 130.49.23.152
Router: 130.49.23.152
DNS: I don't know what to put.

As I said, the Xbox Live test fails when it tests for the Internet portion is, and a diagostic says that the Xbox servers can't find the correct DNS servers.

My Xbox Network Settings are:
IP:130.49.23.153
Gateway(Router): 130.49.23.152
Primary DNS: ?
Secondary DNS: ?

I've searched ifconfig en0 in terminal to bring up the SERVER which was 136.142.57.10, but this doesn 't work. I put it in the Xbox AND in my USB Ethernet.

ALSO, I've tried my Gateway address as the DNS servers which didn't work.

I saw on another website that someone put the initial configuration (PITT) to off, which i'm guessing allows the internet connection to pass straight through the macbook to the Xbox, but this didn't work either.

I'm dwindling on the last strands of sanity here. ANY help? :confused:

Thanks
backbeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.