Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdsmith63

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
I need a little clarification regarding my network setup. Based on a recent fiber optic installation, I want to relocate all my network devices to a central network rack with a central gigabyte switch. Currently they are all located in various places around my basement and on the main floor of my home via gigabyte switches as well. Does it really matter where they are placed being that they are all connected via ethernet?

I have:

2 Lutron Hubs
1 QNAP NAS
1 Buffalo NAS
1 Arlo Basestation
1 SmartThings Hub
1 Hue Hub

When a network device has the option of connecting either WiFi or Ethernet, with a wired connection, I’ve always figured it doesn’t matter where they are placed, as your wireless router or extender is then handling the signal to the connected peripherals (cameras, light switches, etc)? Is this accurate thinking?

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Yes, location does not matter at all. The only limitations to cabled connections would be distance limitations (300 feet), and port limitations of the router or switch.

While it is possible with advanced network configurations to only allow certain devices to work on specific ports, that is very unusual in small or simple networks, so no concerns for any home network. Plug and play is the default.

bdsmith63

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Yes, location does not matter at all. The only limitations to cabled connections would be distance limitations (300 feet), and port limitations of the router or switch.

While it is possible with advanced network configurations to only allow certain devices to work on specific ports, that is very unusual in small or simple networks, so no concerns for any home network. Plug and play is the default.
Thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot and will make my relocation project a lot easier and more manageable!

Reactions: hobowankenobi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.