Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hi everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me.

Basically this is what I want to do:

I have two Mac, a G4 power mac and a new powerbook. Both are connected to the inernet via AipPort Express. I can stream iTunes from the powermac to the powerbook so I do not take all the powerbooks HD. What I was wondering is, is there a way of buying and external hard drive and connecting it to the network. This is what I have been thinking. I can connect one to my powermac and connect to it manually but that is a bit of a pain. I am sure a small apple script of something will mount it automatically.

I have seen networked hard drives that you can connect to a network via ethernet. I am supposing that this would work on a normal AirPort base station with a ethernet connector but not the AirPort Express. Can I add a connector before I plug the internet into my AirPort that will allow me to add the hard drive. I just dont want to have to keep my powermac on all the time.

I think thats about it, if anyone knows how I can do this any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.