Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I have a client who wants to apply parental controls to his kids’ use of the internet. Rather than advising him on filtering software to be installed on individual devices, I am wondering, what solutions might exist that provide access control on the network level.

Ideally, it would be easily configured by a non-techie through a GUI, but still integrate with the client’s firewall. I think, this would require Layer 1 blocking, so that individual MAC addresses can have their access curtailed or put on a schedule. Doing that would make the application operating system agnostic.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
With Eero. You can set family profiles. Choose which devices to regulate with the parental controls. Then set stuff like content filters and access times.

That way older kids can have more access than younger kids. While parents can have to restrictions. Although this doesn't work on shared devices. In which you have to set a blanket restriction level for all of the shared devices.

I think the other major brands offer similar. Although this might have a yearly fee. I think you need the security subscription for Eero.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
The Wi-Fi setup is Ubiquiti APs with their individual Cat 6 backhauls to the internet gateway, which is a pfSense+ device. I have a support request into Ubiquiti with pretty much the same question. So far, I don’t see a simple-enough way to do it with the system the client has.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It depends on the Ubiquiti system they have. From what I can find. If their network is managed by the Unifi Next-Gen Gateway or Unifi OS Hardware Platform. Then you can enable content filtering. You can make it a blanket filter by putting them on a separate network with filtering or set traffic rules to specific clients. Basically they have to upgrade to a managed switch.

I'd dig through the specific managed switches to make sure it does everything they want. If they want something easier. They may have to drop Ubiquiti.

Another option would be to have the network use a content filtering DNS service or maybe the ISP can do blanket filtering. But either option will limit the parents too.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Be sure to read the manuals before deciding. There are non-techie GUIs for routers, I suppose, but I wouldn't describe, for instance, the GUI for DD-WRT in that manner.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
This is the response I got from Ubiquiti:

I understand your point. I am sorry but, when I checked the support file, I found you are managing three U6-Pro on this UCKGen2Plus. There is no UniFi Security Gateway hence managing traffic is not possible. Please note, Access Points (APs) [are] Layer 2 devices and they only pass what they get from Layer 3 devices (Router).

Hence you need to do modifications on the Router (third party) you are using.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
to sniff your network you want something free to inspect all traffic out your Mac you ant something like free Cocoa Packet Analyzer! This way for sniff all over all places apps like to go!

If you want to track where which country the IP based look at the free WhatRoute!

it will really depend of brand of router you are using!

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Would Cloudflair for Families work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.