Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
My Mac Studio is connected to the network via 1GB ethernet and WiFI 6. Wired is still a lot faster with SMB than wireless.

The Service Order is set to be Ethernet first and WiFi last. Yet the mounted drives always connect with the slower WiFI. I have to disable WiFI, mount the drives, and enable WiFI again.

Has anybody else seen this? Any fixes?

jasoncarle

Suspended
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
My Mac Studio is connected to the network via 1GB ethernet and WiFI 6. Wired is still a lot faster with SMB than wireless.

The Service Order is set to be Ethernet first and WiFi last. Yet the mounted drives always connect with the slower WiFI. I have to disable WiFI, mount the drives, and enable WiFI again.

Has anybody else seen this? Any fixes?

How do you know which of the two is being used to connect to your SMB share? I also have to connect this way due to the fact that the WiFi is required to be on for so many things.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
The SMB transfer speed is vastly different. SMB to my NAS over WiFi is horrific.
Not sure why macOS has not figured this out after decades. Windows does this great.

jamesq

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2023
It looks like this might be fixed in Ventura 13.0RC1.
Have this been fixed? I installed new Ventura 13.4 and have this problem. My 25GbE ethernet connection is ignored in favor of Wifi, not matter what the network "service order" I prioritize. I set my 25GbE as the 1st connection, and macOS still connects to network shared drives via WiFi. That was not like this in macOS Monterey. Network "service order" worked there perfectly.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Nope. The issue is (no longer?) fixed in 13.4. Have to turn off WiFi, then connect and access mounted drives over ethernet, then turn WiFi back on for Continuity etc.
Ludicrous, this should not be hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.