Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard10250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2023
My situation is that I have a home workspace that is used to support both my work Windows Lenovo laptop (with Thunderbolt) and my private M2 Mac Studio. To easily allow both the laptop and the Studio to utilize external displays, keyboard, speakers, wired network and other items they both connect to the peripherals via Thunderbolt cable and a Plugable Thunderbolt dock model TBT4-UDZ.

Wired network connection is made via the dock and neither the Studio or the Laptop are connected to a wired connection. However, the Studio is also connected to the same network via a Wireless connection.

To switch the workspace back and forth between the two computers is easy, I just switch the dock Thunderbolt connection between devices. I leave the Studio always running. It all works fine except for the network connection.

The problem is that when using the Studio and I am moving large files to a local NAS, I find the Studio is using the wireless connection and not the wired connection.

Switching off the wireless network and rebooting the Studio solves the issue (after a little beach ball bouncing and stumbling) network traffic is back to using the wired network and data transfer rates are as expected again.

Throughout all of this, the Studio has the network Service Order set with the Plugable wired network connection set to the highest priority position.

It is my guess that the cause of the problem is that when I disconnect the Studio from the dock it automatically switches all network traffic to the wireless connection, but it does not switch back to the wired connection when the dock is reconnected.

• The solution of leaving the Studio's wireless connection turned always off disables other MacOS features that I would like to maintain.
  • The solution of a second wired network connection straight into the Studio so that it's wired connection is not interrupted, results in the MacOS complaining about two devices with the same name being on network.
  • The solution of always turning the Studio off before disconnecting the Dock is possible but a pain.
Any thoughts on how to improve this situation?

Thanks for reading this rather long post and thanks to any that can provide a better solution.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Does the Dock have the latest firmware installed? What is the make and model of router is used for both wired and wireless connections? Is the Mac Studio and/or Windows laptop configured for DHCP or static IP addresses?

Richard10250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2023
Does the Dock have the latest firmware installed? What is the make and model of router is used for both wired and wireless connections? Is the Mac Studio and/or Windows laptop configured for DHCP or static IP addresses?

Thanks.

There is no new firmware for the Dock.
Wireless and Router is Netgear Orbi RBR50 with Satellites RBS50 - all on newest firmware V2.7.4.24
NAS is on fixed IP
Mac Studio, Windows Laptop and most other devices are DHCP

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you could try a permanent wired network to both, and just not use the ethernet on the dock.

you could try a shortcut, you can have it disable wifi, wait a few seconds, and then turn wifi back on. you said doing this leads to a beach ball, but a shortcut would let you not have to dig into settings too deep. you can add shortcuts to the dock or menu bar.
maybe have it wait 10 seconds, and try plugging the dock in while the wifi is off during that time?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Only two things come to mind...

1. You could try creating a new network Location with the service order you prefer and see if it is honored when the dock is detached/reattached.

2. You may want an application to use your preferred network interface but if the application opens a TCP/IP connection over a particular network interface, it isn't likely going to switch to a different network interface if one is connected. You would probably need to quit the application and relaunch it. Are you using Finder to move large files to the NAS?

Richard10250

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2023
Only two things come to mind...

1. You could try creating a new network Location with the service order you prefer and see if it is honored when the dock is detached/reattached.

2. You may want an application to use your preferred network interface but if the application opens a TCP/IP connection over a particular network interface, it isn't likely going to switch to a different network interface if one is connected. You would probably need to quit the application and relaunch it. Are you using Finder to move large files to the NAS?
Yes, I am using Finder to move the files. I am relatively new to the MacOS world, so if there is something better please feel free to offer a suggestion. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.