Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Simple question...

I installed speed test for my mac & iOS devices. When connected to ethernet I only get about 80 Mbs download speed (on the Mac Pro in my sig).

When I connect any of my devices (including the Mac Pro) to 5 Ghz Wifi, I get 220 Mbs download speed.

It's a real difference, not just a fluke, the speed is obvious on everything I do internet wise.

Is it normal for the ethernet to be that slow on a 200 Mbs connection? If not, what can I do to fix this?

I'll add a pic for the ethernet speedtest later if you need to see it with your own eyes.

WiFi 5 GHz.png

ethernet.png

Last edited:

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Sounds like your Ethernet connection is linking at 100Mb (i.e. Fast Ethernet). Is your switch gigabit capable and is your cable 8 conductor?

You can check your Ethernet speed on the hardware tab of your Ethernet properties.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Sounds like your Ethernet connection is linking at 100Mb (i.e. Fast Ethernet). Is your switch gigabit capable and is your cable 8 conductor?

You can check your Ethernet speed on the hardware tab of your Ethernet properties.

It’s a Spectrum supplied Cable Modem w/WiFi. I don’t have a router attached. I have 2 ethernet cables running out of the Cable Modem to the Mac Pro.

Since this same box provides 400 Mbs for $20 more, I would be surprised if it weren’t Gigabit capable. I’ll look up the model number tomorrow. Could it be because I have 2 connections going? I wouldn’t think so, but Network stuff really isn’t my forte.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
It shouldn't be related to two connections. You can check the connection speed in the Hardware tab of your Ethernet settings on your Mac.

If it's linking at 100Mb but the cable modem supports gigabit, try another cable. To support gigabit, the cable must have 8 conductors.

Reactions: crjackson2134

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
MacMini (2014) 10.13.3 same speeds WiFi and Ethernet. ISP is 70Mbps service, I get ~80Mbps on both networks with speedtest. WiFi is 802.11ac, Ethernet is 1Gbps.

When you select ethernet in network preferences, and go to the hardware tab, what is the speed? Macs will auto negotiate 10\100\1000Mbps speeds with the router or switch on the other end of the cable. if the router or switch is 100Mbps, or the ethernet cable is Cat5 (but not 5e or 6), you may be maxing out at 100Mbps. If so, try 5e or 6 cable, and verify the router or switch ethernet ports are 1Gbps.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Great information. I will check this tomorrow for sure. I’m thinking now that it’s a cabling issue. Both cables were replaced with the modem. They were some unused cables Ihad from years gone bye, and may not be rated for Gigabit speeds. I’m feeling good about this theory. I’ll know by close of business tomorrow if that’s the case.

Man you guys are helpful... Thanks so much...

Reactions: belvdr

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Okay, so I’ve wasted $20 on a new Cat6 Cable but here’s what I found...

My cables were fine (Cat 5e). The problem is that the ethernet1 port on my MP only connects at 100-Base and the ethernet2 port connects at 1000-Base (Gigabit) speeds.

I have tried every combination of cable/port connections, and that port on my MP will give me no more than 100-Base speeds. So I guess the port is damaged. Even if I force the connection speed manually, it still doesn’t increase download speeds.

So, I changed the service order, and rename the port services to reflect my preferences (port 1 was renamed to ethernet 2, port 2 was renamed ethernet 1). Now my properly functioning port is called Ethernet 1.

The eithernet connection is now just as fast as the WiFi, but I am a little upset that my MP now has a damaged port.

I suppose this can’t be fixed without replacing the main board?

At least I’m back up to speed.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
It likely cannot. Sometimes you can check to see if any of the pins are bent down so they are unable to make full contact with the cable. I have infrequently been able to bend them back.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Nothing is bent. It all happened as a result of a lightening strike in my back yard.

It blew out 3 TV’s, Apple Base Station, Cable Modem, battery powered wall safe (not even connected to external power), all cable TV boxes, even electronic devices there weren’t connected to anything. A powerful static charge danced all over the house walls and even electrocuted my daughter. The very AIR in the house was electrified, and everything was affected. I thought the MP got out clean but obviously it didn’t.

I just wish I could repair it.

If I took it in to Apple, could they repair a 5,1 ?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The only way to find out is to ask them or a center that repairs older Macs. Places like AppleRx may be able to repair it or source you a board, if you wish to work on it yourself.

EDIT: I know AppleRx is not local to you, but an example of places that do exist and may be of assistance. Also, is a second Ethernet port required?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Also, is a second Ethernet port required?

No, not really... I just don't like my things less than optimal condition. I'm obsessive about it. Kind of like my cars...
If a fender got a scratch deep enough that I couldn't buff it out to perfection, I wouldn't use touchup paint, or live with the scratch. I'd refinish the whole fender. It's just my personality... I can probably get used to just having one port however, but I won't like it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.