Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
have felt recently that my download speeds were terrible. have had the modem replaced, and i think time-warner replaced the line to my home. still the problem persists. d/l speeds approach 10 yr. old dial-up speeds instead of broadband cable. ran two separate tests with results as shown in pictures. what am i to make of it? thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 94

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
have felt recently that my download speeds were terrible. have had the modem replaced, and i think time-warner replaced the line to my home. still the problem persists. d/l speeds approach 10 yr. old dial-up speeds instead of broadband cable. ran two separate tests with results as shown in pictures. what am i to make of it? thanks

Certain ISPs throttle traffic to sites that show how fast your speed is to give you a fast reading. I would complain. What is your plan? How fast of a service are you paying for monthly? 768Kb, 1.5Mb, 3Mb, 5MB, etc.

If you are paying for 5Mb, and you are only getting 1.5Mb, I would complain.

-iGrant

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Certain ISPs throttle traffic to sites that show how fast your speed is to give you a fast reading. I would complain. What is your plan? How fast of a service are you paying for monthly? 768Kb, 1.5Mb, 3Mb, 5MB, etc.

If you are paying for 5Mb, and you are only getting 1.5Mb, I would complain.

-iGrant

Except he got 4.2Mb on the one test. The 1.2Mb speed may have very well connected to either a loaded server or connection.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
Except he got 4.2Mb on the one test. The 1.2Mb speed may have very well connected to either a loaded server or connection.

What I was trying to get at was maybe the website that gave him a 4.2Mb speed is a site that his ISP give extra bandwidth to. I know several ISPs do that.

I'm saying that is it, its just one scenario. You could also be right.

-iGrant

wesandolla

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Houston
wireless router

I have an imac 3.06 and my router isn't doing good these days as it is over 3 years old. Could I get some advice on a wireless router that would be best for my machine. I also have a new macbook on the way. My provider is comcast if it matters. Not very computer savy but want to get the best performance possible from a new router.

Thanks in advance...
Wes

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
I have an imac 3.06 and my router isn't doing good these days as it is over 3 years old. Could I get some advice on a wireless router that would be best for my machine. I also have a new macbook on the way. My provider is comcast if it matters. Not very computer savy but want to get the best performance possible from a new router.

Thanks in advance...
Wes

What router do you have??? Depending on the model you might just want to upgrade to a 3rd party firmware.

-iGrant

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
What I was trying to get at was maybe the website that gave him a 4.2Mb speed is a site that his ISP give extra bandwidth to. I know several ISPs do that.

I'm saying that is it, its just one scenario. You could also be right.

-iGrant

Yes, I understand what you meant, but since he tested from his connection, it proves his connection can at least handle 4.2Mb. I'm curious as well as to how much bandwidth is in his plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.