Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
hello. I'm hoping to get some help with a network / storage solution.
I'm an architect with a small studio in the house and really have little to no experience with setting up a network with a central access to my files.
I currently have 3 computers with all my work files on the computer that I use daily, a Mac Pro. The other 2 computers are laptops, 1 is a MacBook Pro, the other is an HP laptop. These are typically used by staff during the day, or by me when I'm not in my office but in other areas of the house.
One thing that is adding to my confusion is that we have to use Autocad, and therefore Windows for work. The two Macs run Fusion to accomplish this.
What I would like to do is have all my files in a central location that all computers can have access to. I am also worried about losing my files so I would like to have automated backup of all my cad files. Right now all work files are in a separate drive in the Mac Pro, but with no back-up.
What is the best way to network all the computers and set up an automated storage / back-up solution? Also, is there a way to set something up where I don't need to have the Mac Pro running all day and night in order to access files from the other computers? Or would I not really save any energy by having a separate server for that?

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Thanks for your reply. It looks like a NAS drive could be what I need.
How is the speed generally on these? I would like to be able to work off the drive, not just store files on it......not sure if I am being clear with what I'm saying :eek: Can I directly connect multiple computers to it (through ethernet?) for faster access than just wirelessly?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
The speed is good if you're using ethernet; however, my network at home is wireless G, so I do have some limitations. The connection from the NAS to the router is 100BaseT (limited by my router; the NAS itself is Gigabit), so I'm sure much faster speeds are possible than those that I'm getting.

I store video and my iTunes library on the drive, and accessing them only becomes a problem if I try to play large, uncompressed video files directly from the NAS. I'm sure if you use an ethernet connection you won't notice this being a problem.

To answer your other question, you can access it directly through ethernet with multiple computers, but only if you use a hub or router; the NAS itself has only one RJ-45 port.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.