Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWindebank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Hi all. I have just started setting up Lion Server for my household however have a slight issue with allowing network users to logon to devices. If I allow usernames and passwords to be typed in manually then network users can login, however if I want to have them show up as users on the login screen it doesn't work.

Is there a way for network users to be visible on the login screen at all times please? There are only two network users in my house.

Thanks,
Jordan

Last edited:

willfurnell

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Hi all. I have just started setting up Lion Server for my household however have a slight issue with allowing network users to logon to devices. If I allow usernames and passwords to be typed in manually then network users can login, however if I want to have them show up as users on the login screen it doesn't work.

Is there a way for network users to be visible on the login screen at all times please? There are only two network users in my house.

Thanks,
Jordan

I wouldn't think there is a way, as you would usually have hundreds of users in a server environment, imagine listing ALL of those people on a login screen :O it is also more secure getting people to login with their usernames too.

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Does that solution make "network user" a choice or does it list every single network user? The latter isn't really an option in a network with 3,000 users if that's what it does

JWindebank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Does that solution make "network user" a choice or does it list every single network user? The latter isn't really an option in a network with 3,000 users if that's what it does

Luckily I only have two network users so it is ok for me, but yes it does display all users. :)

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2011
BC
Thanks for the reply, however I did stumble across an answer for this last night. :)

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16280642#16280642

John Lockwood
London, UK Level 4 Level 4 (2,455 points)
Correct AnswerRe: open directory list not showing at startup, where do i start to look
Oct 5, 2011 5:32 AM (in response to PScrimshaw)

I presume you mean the login window is not listing the Open Directory user accounts? This actually is the normal default behaviour for the login window.

Is your login window showing just two boxes for the user name and password, or is it listing just local user accounts? If it is listing some user accounts is "Other" in that list?

When I used to run 10.5 Server, I used to create a Computer Group, add all my client computers to that group and set a managed preference for that group to force my client computers to show a full list of Open Directory accounts. You do this as follows -

Launch Workgroup Manager
Login to Workgroup Manager
If you don't already have a suitable one, create a new Computer group
If needed add all your client computers to this Computer group
Now with that Computer group still selected, click on the Preferences icon at the top of the Workgroup Manager window
Click on the Login choice on the left
You should now see at the top a set of radio buttons for Never, Once, or Always - choose Always
If you now look in the main part of the window you should see options for things like Style - List of users (which is what you want) and under that tick boxes for Show network users (which is also what you want)
When you have set things as desired, click on the Apply Now button in the bottom right
You will need to reboot the client computer to test this

Note: If you have a really large number of user accounts it might take a while to draw the list of accounts in the Login screen. I had about 70 and it was fairly fast.

Thanks for this! That was a timely post which was something annoying me as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.