Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
I've got a small 2 disk Synology which I use on my Mac via wifi.
I sometimes find it is a bit slow at transfers and only really use it with the Mac, so was looking at locally attached storage instead.

However the main advantage of the NAS is I use the Synology Cloud Backup to create an offsite backup at night.

Are there any locally attached storage systems that also have their own inbuilt networking for backup purposes?
Like a secondary wifi connection?
The backup runs early morning so the Mac would not be on.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
You can connect your Mac to the Synology via LAN, other than that as far as local attached storage you can easily pick up something like a Samsung T7 or Sandisk that has a small profile that you can use for local storage/backup especially if you don't move your Mac around so you don't have to keep unplugging/plugging in the external drives.

Since you mention that the transfer speeds are slow are you using the Synology more as a backup device or as just storage that you can access on all devices and regularly have to move files around?

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
Thanks for the responses.
To pick up on points mentioned.
The NAS and laptop are in different rooms, so Ethernet on the Mac would be awkward to do, although is something I had thought about.
in terms of usage, it is mainly for storage of files, which are mainly photos for Lightroom which I use a lot, so Lightroom reads and writes to the NAS.
When I first purchased the NAS several years ago I used it across three different devices but now really only the MacBook.
i just find the general performance within Lightroom to be slower than it used to be, and copying files isn’t fast either, so as it is only used with one machine now I thought about transferring to locally attached storage which is faster.
I like the transparency of the backup of the NAS though as it is always on anyway, whereas any basic local usb/thunderbolt would require the laptop be on for backups.

I have come across Thunderbolt NAS units whilst looking last night but I am unclear exactly what these do and how they work at present.

Reactions: cthompson94

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I actually do a similar thing with Lightroom/Photoshop except I edit off a Samsung T7 external hard drive so that my catalog is portable, and when I am finished with my edits I just copy all the newly added photos to the Synology. Basically just closing out LR/PS and and copying the whole new folder(s) over to the NAS which syncs via the Synology photos app so that I still basically have access to my whole catalog via wifi too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.