Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iamanamma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Warren, Ohio
The problem: Getting my Mac Mini Server running OS 10.8.5 and my PM G4 running OS 9.2.2 to talk to each other.

I found the thread where one of the members was trying to do something similar with an older version of OS X, but it did not involve OSX server. It did not appear that the issues were fully resolved for the poster.

I have waded through the enormously detailed heavy reading posted by Macfool about networking. His recommendation appears to be to downgrade my AFP to OS 10.5's version. I am loathe to try that, as my server is also serving 7 iMacs running OS 10.8, and is hosting the data for two extremely vital modern apps. I can't interrupt those services to talk to OS 9.

I enabled SMB communications on the server. I installed two different programs on the G4, Connectix Doubletalk and Thursbay Systems' Dave to try to allow it to talk to the server. I have had limited success, a little more with Dave 4.0. The Server and the G4 can "see" each other, but I can't get them to communicate. I keep getting error messages. Trying to sign in from the G4 through the Chooser tells me "A Netbios error has occurred." Trying to use the "Mount Manually" command brings up a window that has all sorts of Wndows server stuff in it...I don't have a Windows server, just the OS 10.8 Server, and I really have no idea what to enter in the fields. Trying to connect from the server side doesn't work much better. The G4 shows up in the Finder, but clicking on it invariably ends up with a "Connection failed" message. Trying to "Connect As" gives me a message that "There was a problem connecting to the server (Name)G4" and a bunch of stuff about the server may not exist, or is unavailable, try again later. Trying to "Connect to Server" under the GO menu by entering in the IP address gets the closest, I actually get to the familiar sign in window, enter my user name and password, see the available shared items, click on one, and then get an error message telling me there was a problem connecting to the server XXX.XXX.X.41, You do not have permission to access this server. Yes I do, I set up the sharing myself, so I know I do.

I am stuck, and could really use some advice.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.