Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
I can’t seem to get Jag and Red Hat to talk to each other.

In Red Hat, went to network servers, and I can see my Mac, but I can't log on!!
I put in the username and passcode, but nothing happens!!

In Jag, I can’t see Red Hat at all!!

Any tips?
Thanx

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
From Jag, try typing in the IP of the red hat machine. The finder will only connect if a file service is running on the NIX machine.

Each machine will be specific as to what services it's offering. Are they offering NFS or AFP, SAMBA, FTP, HTTP, MAIL etc? Depending on what client app you are using, you will only be able to connect to the relevant service which is offered. File services are browsed using the finder. FTP through an ftp client, mail through a mail client etc. If the remote machine hasn't been set-up to offer these services you can't connect.

For the red hat machine to get file services from OSX you will need to set up NFS on your OSX machine. I don't think this is simple to do at the moment, but it's possible. But it is simple to set-up ftp services on the mac. Just check ftp in sharing preferences and your done. Then use whatever ftp client your red hat machine has to connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.