Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
People always claim it is risky to use iPhone or Android without any patch support anymore, but never heard of anyone got hacked because of a no patch old iPhone or Android.

So is it safe to use old iPhone or Android with no patch anymore, just use default apps and apps from Apple stores and Google Play with latest updates?

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I do not undertand your logic here of why you've asked this question. If you've not heard of any one with an old iphone or android phone getting hacked then isn't it safe to say that they are safe to use? and even if a couple of people post that it's not safe, considering there are probably still millions of old mobile phones still in use, are you going to accept the word of a couple of posters?

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Risk is typically tied to use. If you load up risky websites or download questionable apps from questionable sources, you’re exposing yourself to greater risk. Personally, I don’t engage in those behaviors, and have used phones slightly out of update range with no negative consequences. But I never did critical work on them like banking, either. To each their own…

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
From time to time there could be harmful apps in Google Play, but it shouldn't be a problem
If you're cautious then you can use your old devices.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
People always claim it is risky to use iPhone or Android without any patch support anymore, but never heard of anyone got hacked because of a no patch old iPhone or Android.

So is it safe to use old iPhone or Android with no patch anymore, just use default apps and apps from Apple stores and Google Play with latest updates?

Welcome to find a hacking old phone news if there is any

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.