Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
TL;DR

My aunt asked me to update her iPhone 5 that was on 6.0.2 to the latest 7.1

Manual update with IPSW file - error message: 'Firmware is incompatible'
Manual restore with IPSW file - error message: 'Firmware is incompatible'
Official (slower) update/restore through iTunes - error message: corrupt download during update.
Tried updating on phone directly - error message: corrupt download during update.

-----------

To make the update faster, I downloaded the correct IPSW file and manually went to update the iPhone after creating an iCloud backup. It gave me the error message 'Firmware is incompatible'. This was strange because I made sure I downloaded the latest and correct IPSW file (iPhone 5 GSM 7.1 - she's in Europe, so it's GSM). I tried manually restoring with the same IPSW file and it didn't work.

Then I decided to go the official (but slower) route and I got a different error message "corrupt download during update."

I tried updating on the phone directly and got the same "corrupt download during update.' message.

I'm out of options for the update - what do I do?

Her phone is on stock iOS 6, not jailbroken or anything. I've never seen the latter error messages so I don't know how to go about it.

Added problem: iCloud didn't save her Camera Roll during the backup.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think you've downloaded the wrong firmware. I also have European version of iPhone 5 and it requires global version of iOS (iPhone5,2). Try downloading the software from the link below and see if it works.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS7.1/031-4537.20140310.4PCL5/iPhone5,2_7.1_11D167_Restore.ipsw

You can also try updating Over the Air.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it out.

I did try over the air and it gave me an error (that the something went wrong during the download). Same thing in iTunes.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Find a location with a strong, fast wifi connection.
Plug the phone into the newest iTunes, push update or restore (iTunes will grab the correct IPSW for her phone).

If that fails, you can put the phone in DFU mode and retry.

It is a common issue for iCloud not to replace the camera roll or photos correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.