Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Had the black magic keyboard for the new 12.9. I washed my hands every single time before i used it because I wasn’t sure about the Magic Keyboard in general (no fold-over angle for drawing/writing and no edge protection) And I was thinking I might send it back. It seemed like every single dead skin cell on my hands ended up on the magic keyboard. A bunch of dust as well. Then when I realized people were talking about it showing every single touch, it essentially had done that with me already but I knew if I hadn’t washed my hands every single time, there would’ve been smudges all over the damn place too.

Also tried out the Logitech Combo Touch Pro, and that’s not for me. I was thinking I might just go back to no keyboard case and just use a wireless, but then I started reading about what people were saying about the white one. People said it somehow seems more resistant than last years black version. Most importantly, that it didn’t show every dead skin cell that fell off your hands and that it wiped clean very easily. So, I decided I wanted to switch to the silver iPad (for a more congruent look) and I would get the white keyboard and put a white skin on top of it as well. Used it for my first full day yesterday. The keys don’t even look like they’ve been touched. It really is a night and day difference.

Wonder if anybody else has made the switch from black to white and noticed how relieving it is. I can actually use the keyboard and not want to clean it every time I’m done.

Reactions: johntw

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Had the black magic keyboard for the new 12.9. I washed my hands every single time before i used it because I wasn’t sure about the Magic Keyboard in general (no fold-over angle for drawing/writing and no edge protection) And I was thinking I might send it back. It seemed like every single dead skin cell on my hands ended up on the magic keyboard. A bunch of dust as well. Then when I realized people were talking about it showing every single touch, it essentially had done that with me already but I knew if I hadn’t washed my hands every single time, there would’ve been smudges all over the damn place too.

Also tried out the Logitech Combo Touch Pro, and that’s not for me. I was thinking I might just go back to no keyboard case and just use a wireless, but then I started reading about what people were saying about the white one. People said it somehow seems more resistant than last years black version. Most importantly, that it didn’t show every dead skin cell that fell off your hands and that it wiped clean very easily. So, I decided I wanted to switch to the silver iPad (for a more congruent look) and I would get the white keyboard and put a white skin on top of it as well. Used it for my first full day yesterday. The keys don’t even look like they’ve been touched. It really is a night and day difference.

Wonder if anybody else has made the switch from black to white and noticed how relieving it is. I can actually use the keyboard and not want to clean it every time I’m done.
Can you post a pictures of your "endgame" keyboard/iPad? BTW what didn't you like about the Logitech keyboard? I have a 2020 MK for my 2021 12.9" iPad Pro. But was looking at the Logitech.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Can you post a pictures of your "endgame" keyboard/iPad? BTW what didn't you like about the Logitech keyboard? I have a 2020 MK for my 2021 12.9" iPad Pro. But was looking at the Logitech.

The Logitech is very difficult to use in the lap. It can be done, but you have to sit up straight perfectly and there’s barely enough room in your lap. Don’t buy it if that’s something you want to do.

Sure thing. I actually found it a bit hard to apply and there were no instructions I could find on how to apply it. I bought the Sophiguard Extended Skin. There‘s a piece that wraps around the mouse. There was a part that went in between the keys which looked like an Olympic feat to apply and you see it got messed up in a few places, so I’ll be taking that off.

60EB55B3-9EC7-4DAC-9AB1-AE8E78F469DB.jpeg

1438C6B3-81B4-48F6-8A1D-ABEB972527EF.jpeg

Funny enough, it’s got a couple markings on the bottom part that sits on my lap. One of them looks like it came from the skin touching the Electric Orange Smart Folio. The other one, I’m not sure where it came from. They don’t seem to wipe off at all. The funny part is I don’t even know that the actual keyboard would’ve stained from those things (pretty sure it wouldn’t have from touching the Electric Orange Smart Folio). I’ve heard from people that have gotten all kinds of things on the white magic keyboard and it didn’t stain, but there are a couple people who got scuffs on the keyboard somehow. Whether those can wipe out or not, I don’t know.

It looks completely white except for those two smudges I’ve shown.

The Extended Skin is the only skin that seems to cover the keyboard this much, but I don’t know if it’s necessary. Would I recommend the skin? I’m not sure I would.

FED64A1A-7D60-4E94-B7ED-038176106B29.jpeg

C095DDC6-A3C5-4F4D-BF9F-44A355E88DDE.jpeg

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
The Logitech is very difficult to use in the lap. It can be done, but you have to sit up straight perfectly and there’s barely enough room in your lap. Don’t buy it if that’s something you want to do.

Sure thing. I actually found it a bit hard to apply and there were no instructions I could find on how to apply it. I bought the Sophiguard Extended Skin. There‘s a piece that wraps around the mouse. There was a part that went in between the keys which looked like an Olympic feat to apply and you see it got messed up in a few places, so I’ll be taking that off.

View attachment 1812341

View attachment 1812346

Funny enough, it’s got a couple markings on the bottom part that sits on my lap. One of them looks like it came from the skin touching the Electric Orange Smart Folio. The other one, I’m not sure where it came from. They don’t seem to wipe off at all. The funny part is I don’t even know that the actual keyboard would’ve stained from those things (pretty sure it wouldn’t have from touching the Electric Orange Smart Folio). I’ve heard from people that have gotten all kinds of things on the white magic keyboard and it didn’t stain, but there are a couple people who got scuffs on the keyboard somehow. Whether those can wipe out or not, I don’t know.

It looks completely white except for those two smudges I’ve shown.

The Extended Skin is the only skin that seems to cover the keyboard this much, but I don’t know if it’s necessary. Would I recommend the skin? I’m not sure I would.

View attachment 1812347

View attachment 1812348
Many thanks for the pictures and solid advice! I'm also checking out the Brydge....but the BT connectivity is a concern. I note they just added a white/silver one for pre-order.

Perhaps the Apple MK really is the overall answer. Then I have to decide whether it is worth replacing my 2020 version to use with my silver 2021 iPP 12.9"? If I did I'd go white for a change up in colors ;)

Reactions: SigEp265
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.