Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wombert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
So... I made the switch about two weeks ago. The PB is sweet, I dig OS X (minus the Finder, that is), even though the battery was dead on arrival and all of the keys are quite misaligned, some are clicking, some have a weird feeling, space doesn't work when you hit it on the bottom right, return touches the case. It even fell to the floor already, but survived with almost no scratches, only a small dent in the bottom left corner.

But... to the point: The external monitor detection sucks big time. Often, I'll hook up my CRT and it isn't detected. Or the laptop won't realize that I disconnected it. Or the resolution will be reset to something like 800x600. Or after disconnecting, some windows are moved almost off the screen. Why is this happening? One of the reasons might be that I'm using the DVI adapter, and I learned that disconnecting this one instead of pulling the VGA plug makes things work better. But why the hell are the windows this way after the book switches back to internal screen only mode? It's not that difficult to move and resize them, is it? I mean, even WINDOWS gets this right!

Oh and then there's this bug... You can tell the monitor to go to standby after some minutes. I set this to a lower value for battery, and I disabled the option that dims the screen after a minute or so before completely switching it off for power supply mode. But hah... It remembers it ONCE. That is, until you either connect or disconnect an external monitor. Then, it forgets this setting. So I have to go back to the energy settings, open the opions tab, realize the option is already switched off, click it once to enable it, click it again to disable it, and after that, it's fine again. Until... well. Until I connect or disconnect the external screen again.

M00h. Am I doing something wrong or so? Help? :(

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
I have a 12 inch that I frequently connect to external monitors and projectors and the process is not problem free. Try these steps CLOSE your laptop which puts it into the sleep mode. Connect the external display. Make sure the external display is on and then open you laptop. This is the procedure outlined in the user manual. It has eliminated most of my problems.

Follow the procedures in reverse when you disconnect the display. Close the laptop and disconnect the display. If windows are messed up after disconnecting an external display put your laptop to sleep again for a minute and then wake it. IF this doesn't fix things restart the laptop.

I would return the powerbook if the build quality is as bad as you say.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i have Rev B 15" PB with 1.5Ghz, just two gen behind yours, and it doesn't have any of your problems. the inconsistency in monitor detection might be caused by screwy permissionss. try repairing it. (Disk Utility > Repair Permissions). as for the battery and keys, i think you'll have to talk to Apple about those.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
very good chance that apple will not accept it back due to the fact you dropped it. unless you can say it was like that when you received it? :cool:

Wombert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I got a new battery a week after I phoned them (which I did the day after it arrived). I'll take it to a dealer to have the keyboard replaced. It's pretty obvious that something like that doesn't happen when you drop it on the floor ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.