Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Well all, after many months of tryign to figure out what computer to get I finally got myself a new 17incher. First, thanks to all those who helped me figure out what to do. Secondly I'd like to say that when I was driving the 60 miles hoem from the apple store wiating to open up the computer I was a little nervous that i might have gotten one that is too large for me, and I should have stuck with the 15 incher. Well now I've had the computer home fora few hours, and must say... I absolutely positively made the right choice size wise. This computer is somethign I need for traveling, so its small form make it an easy companion for trips, and I don't need it on a plane so much, so that's fine. Right now I'm playing puzzle pirates writing this and watchign a movie n small mode, and can see most everything. For anyone trying to decide between a 15 ich and a 17 inch, relaly the real estate space on the 17 inch is to die for. I didn't think it'd matter that much to me, but coming from an old 15inch apple flat panle to this, well there's just no comparison. Everything is so nice and open, not cramped at all. Also I'd liek to say that this screen is gorgeous, and whiel I haven't watched a movie on full screen mode, I can't wait to see how it does. I suppose that's all i have for now. Feel free to ask me questions, as I'd love to answer them. I'm so incredibly happy with my computer right now that I don't wanna go to sleep, and would rather tinker around with it all night. Anyway like i said, if you've got questions jsut ask.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
HAven't taken her out in public yet, since i don't have a carrying case (still undecided what to get) as for having more space while at home, yes i love it, cause it allows for an easier time doing multiple things at once. I will be taking her out though a little later today to a group meeting i need to go to, nad she'll probably come to shcool with me soon, so Ill have a better idea of what all is going on then..

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
deffinatly let me know how going to school with it goes...... when I asked about screen space, I meant to ask If you feel like you need more or not. So do you?

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
17 form factor is killer. People always tell me it is to big....Cool don't get one. I used it easily for travel to Europe and on the road. No problem. The new one with better graphics card and 30% faste CPU thne mine is looking pretty desirable...Might hold out for dual core on the 12th of never.LOL

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
I'm thinking about buying a ib or a pb for university. I'm not really happy about the ib cause it only has 14inch screen max. But the pb costs a lot! (especially since I live in canada). Is it worth the investment to buy a 15inch pb? I figured one with superdrive would cost 500$ more than a ib 14inch with superdrive. I wouldn't even think of buying a pc laptop because after I got my iPod, every machine with windows looks so damn ugly, but they do seem to have a better price.

cheers,

Sundance Kid

steeveage

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2004
Redwood City, CA
Congrats on the purchase. I'm a PC->Mac convert/PB 17 inch owner myself. You mentioned you were looking for a carrying case for your 17"er, I highly recommend the Booq Powersleeve 17. May not be ideal for traveling long distance, but for day-to-day use it's simple, svelte, provides good protection, and has adequate space for a fair number of accessories. It even has a pouch in the back for putting papers that you may need. And it looks way cooler than a backpack...

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
To whomever asked about the trackpad, no it seems fine to me. And i took it to class today, and it was jsut fine. Still haven't given it a full class workout yet, as I want to wait till i have a bag to carry it in.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Omad0n said:
To whomever asked about the trackpad, no it seems fine to me. And i took it to class today, and it was jsut fine. Still haven't given it a full class workout yet, as I want to wait till i have a bag to carry it in.

Maybe I need to workout some more, but man, my campus is huge and I get sick of carrying around my 15", much less a 17". As much as I would love to...

Ph4lynx

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
University Place
for a simple carrying case i would definitly recommend the Tom Bihn brain cell, the build quality is outstanding and i know they make one that fits the 17".

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
does anyone know anything about backpacks for laptops that you can use to go biking? As in a bag thats meant for biking

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Its not specifically for biking but I have a Brenthaven 17" backpack which comes with a extremely robust insert and lots of space for other things. Its essentially bulletproof although expensive. Not too obviously a laptop backpack either.I'm happy with it.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
in terms of the person who talked abotu a large campus, I know the pain, mine is a mile by a mile, and sometimes you need to haul ass from one end to another, the 17incher still doesn't bother me, but I guess that 's also cause i'm used to carrying around a 20lb bag. lol. So yeah I'm used to weight, in fact since the power book I've lessened what else is with me, so in the end the power book, though heavy, has got me carrying less weight

SurfAddict

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Funny to have in public

Well I agree with the original review completely this thing is just awesome and i have had absolutely no problems (sometimes its slow to wake from sleep but thats OS X). It's not to heavy to carry long distances in my opinion but I am a football player so I do alot of weightlifting. As far as the trackpad goes its fine not slow at all. Oh and by the way the couple times I have taken this thing out in public I havent felt akward just a little envied :p . Seriously though you will have people coming up to you asking about it all the time, they all assume its a sony vaio until I shoot that idea down a quick lid close and they know it's apple all the way :D

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
do u notice the difference of 2gb of ram in your day to day activites, such as powering on, or running multible programs at once? or is the 2gb not even utilized until you edit videos n stuff? and it has to feel a little silly in a lecture when u have a huge screen in front of you.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Actually it feels fine in lecture. Though I must admit I'man upper classman, so all my courses are like 30 people max, and they're all in my department at this point. As to the 2GB RAM question, well I don't know cause i've still only got 512 in this beast (soon to have another gig on order) and I know that the mac chokes a bit on not having enough memory when I've got a bunch of things open. The only reason I know it's memory bound is my old dual 867 Mac handles some things better than my powerbook does, and the only difference is my powerbook is lacking in RAM.

robshakir

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2005
Sundance Kid said:
does anyone know anything about backpacks for laptops that you can use to go biking? As in a bag thats meant for biking

Check out these:

http://www.comuta.co.uk/

They're awesome for carrying stuff on a bike, great protection, and if you drop the bag, your laptop doesn't have a problem.

Rob

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
the pics of the 17" make me feel so inadequate with my 12", but its great for traveling. You can bet though, when i go to grad school in a few years i'm going to let my g/f have this 12" and i'm going to buy the 17". I love mine, don't get me wrong, and its great for travel too and from school, but i'd like a desktop replacement, and with a bigger external HD and loads of Ram i think that the 17" would be ideal for me. Anyone feel the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.