Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
First let me say that I was a computer tech for 20 years (with my own business) but for the last 15 years I have been an OTR Truck Driver. I am still a geek and gadget freak but have never actually bought a New Apple Product until recently.

On December 27th I visited the AT&T store (the 5th one in a week) in West Dundee, IL looking for a new Android Tablet (I use as my GPS an older Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10") with LTE built in so I don't have to carry a hotspot around when I want to watch Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc. No one had a single android tablet with lte. So after the store convinced me to PLAY WITH the new iPad Pro's I bit the bullet and bought the new 2018 iPad Pro 11" 256GB LTE version, along with the Apple Pencil 2 and the Apple Keyboard Cover. The store unboxed the tablet and after putting a sim card in it they placed it in the keyboard cover and paired the Apple Pencil 2. Then bagged everything and sent me on my way.

When I got back to the motel I was taking my Christmas Vacation in, a few hours later, I noticed that there were multiple software issues/glitches. Like the App Store showed 8 updates that would not install. So on December 28th I contacted Apple Chat Support (3 times). During their attempts to resolve the issues they had me remove the iPad from the keyboard cover. At which point I noticed the iPad had come Out-Of-The-Box bent.

After Erasing all Content and Settings 3 times and testing the iPad I finally had the software issues all resolved. However, the iPad was bent even worse. So I went to AT&T store in Rolling Meadows, IL and they confirmed that it was in fact bent but informed me that was a Manufacturer Defect and that I needed to go to an Apple Store for replacement. So I immediately drove to the Apple Store at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL. The tech I saw confirmed it was bent and put me on the list to see a Genius. Several hours later the Genuis stated "I don't see anything wrong" as did a manager that I requested. The manager agreed to replace the tablet but stated that it would "ding" my Apple Care + which was unacceptable to me so I stormed out of the store before I said something I couldn't take back.

Later that night (December 29th) I began having WiFi issues. When I would first boot the tablet it would work fine for about 30 minutes then slowly start slowing internet speeds. After about an hour it would become completely unusable. So I went to bed. The next morning, December 30th, I decided to check it on LTE and the problem was even worse. When I would boot the tablet up I would have 4 bars of signal. In under a minute it would drop to 2 bars and after about 5 minutes to 1 bar and become unusable. So I called Apple Support and after 3 hours and 3 different people I got a manager who called the Apple Store I had previously been to and told them to replace my iPad for FREE with a NEW ONE.

As the Apple Phone Support manager I spoke with was dealing with the Apple Store I drove up there. After 4 hours of waiting they told me they did not have any iPad Pro's and that they would "order me a new one" and it would be there in a couple days.

On January 3rd I still hadn't heard from the Apple Store so I went there again (actually went on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd) and told them I was an over-the-road truck driver and had to go back on the road the next day and I wasn't leaving the store until I had my replacement "new iPad Pro". They told me "we just received a shipment so hang out a few minutes and let's see if it came in". So I went the restroom and then took a seat in the showroom. No sooner than I sat down they called me to "return to the store" and magically they produced a "new iPad Pro". I watched the manager lady take it out of the box and place my sim card in it and then I sat in the store and restored my iCloud backup and then tested the LTE before leaving. Everything seemed great!

I returned to my motel and noticed, immediately, that the LTE signal strength was far weaker on the new ipad pro than on the old one and on my at&t cellphone that was laying right beside it, but it worked so I wasn't complaining. The next morning I woke to find the "new iPad Pro" had NO LTE. I immediately did a Network Settings Reset and still no LTE. So I called Apple Support, again! They ran diagnostics and screen shared and confirmed there was no Technical Issues with the iPad so they three-way called AT&T Support.

AT&T quickly stated that the iPad I had just gotten from Apple had been Previously Owned and Reported Stolen and therefore was on their BLOCK LIST. I told AT&T that Apple had just given me this NEW IPAD PRO and asked to have it removed from the block list. They told me it would be removed within 48 hours.

On January 7th I still had no LTE so I called AT&T Block List Support directly and again requested it removed from the block list and again was told it would be within 48 hours.

On January 10th I still had no LTE so I called AT&T Block List Support, again, and this time they told me that THIS DEVICE HAS BEEN REPORTED STOLEN and CAN NOT BE REMOVED....call Apple Support!

So I hung up with AT&T and contacted Apple Phone Support, yet again! I recounted the entire story and they guy I was talking to apologized profusely and then got me a Support Supervisor. I told her everything that had happened (as detailed above in this post) and she said she would work on a resolution and call me back. About an hour later she called me back and said that she spoke with "someone" at the Apple Store at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL and that the only thing I could do was take it back there and let them "check it" and "maybe they would replace it". She then set me an appointment for 19:30 (7:30 PM) on January 15th at that store.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here I am 2 weeks into owning my first ever NEW APPLE PRODUCT and I can't use it. AT&T wouldn't let me return it under the 14 day Buyer's Remorse period due to it being a Replacement. I am seriously not holding out any hope of getting a Properly Working iPad Pro when I go to the Apple Store the next time, even if they do admit they Screwed Up they will come up with some BS excuse like "we don't have any" or "they are on back order" or something. Being that I will only "be in town" on the 15th and part of the 16th I am relatively certain I will be leaving with this unusable iPad Pro.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I think he just wants to vent. But this is also a lesson about att.

Ditched that terrible company a long time ago. You get more bees with honey than vinegar. And a new iPad will never come blacklisted from apple if it’s new. Not buying

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
To be fair, you can use it. No need for hyperbolics.

Is it inconvenient? Sure. Annoying? Definitely. World ending? ...no.

Just tether it to your iPhone (or, you know, wifi - when available) until this gets sorted.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Nice name, and thanks for sharing your story. Unfortunately, I read the entire thing. It seems highly unlikely Apple provided a used/blacklisted iPad; I’m surprised you had to explain the situation to AT&T yourself, as you stated Apple initiated the 3-way call in the first place.

Good luck.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I've had bad units come from apple scratched etc, but I don't handle it anywhere close to how he did. And also a great illustration on why you never ever buy from a cellular company the hardware. The hoops they make you jump through and when you go to a company like apple, it's just going to complicate things. Go to Apple and or Best Buy and you can swap or return much more easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
This I'm just not believing:

AT&T quickly stated that the iPad I had just gotten from Apple had been Previously Owned and Reported Stolen and therefore was on their BLOCK LIST. I told AT&T that Apple had just given me this NEW IPAD PRO and asked to have it removed from the block list. They told me it would be removed within 48 hours.​

Reactions: VMMan

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
This I'm just not believing:

AT&T quickly stated that the iPad I had just gotten from Apple had been Previously Owned and Reported Stolen and therefore was on their BLOCK LIST. I told AT&T that Apple had just given me this NEW IPAD PRO and asked to have it removed from the block list. They told me it would be removed within 48 hours.​

I think what happened is that he gave the serial number / IMEI of the older iPad that was replaced, rather than the newer one he received. The older one that is replaced would likely be blacklisted, but he may not have realized he was giving the replaced iPad's serials / IMEI from the iPad Pro box.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I think the theme here is that there have been a lot of issues, little In the way of explanation. All we are really doing is guessing at this point. This just doesn't seem like a bigger issue here as no one else has really reporting a high number of these things to date. The curve is subjective. Both my units are cellular and have a slight cure along the top. Different yes, but looking at them side by side and the similarity in them I think it's w/in spec of what Apple is saying.

But I will say it seems like the mass production runs, Apple has been more reactive than catching some of these things before mass release.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Among the lessons here, avoid buying from the wireless carriers in the US.

Having worked in an Apple store I think my favorite thing was “ the nice person “at the carrier” store set up my iCloud for me. I forgot what the password for iCloud and the email address.

Yeah the visit to Apple May take an extra hour or so but for the most part you’ll walk out with an operational device.

Reactions: newellj

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I think what happened is that he gave the serial number / IMEI of the older iPad that was replaced, rather than the newer one he received. The older one that is replaced would likely be blacklisted, but he may not have realized he was giving the replaced iPad's serials / IMEI from the iPad Pro box.

Ahhh, ok. That makes sense!

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
I have to say that I keep observing this weird brand loyalty withing apple customers.

For example, AT&T is a horrible company, yet apple customers keeps going to it because they were the first to carry iphones.

Or how about the hate that is flung at anyone that dares ask for an AMD cpu in any of their sacred Macs? Yeah, thats a thing also, Intel or bust!

Oh well, glad you had that issue fixed.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I have an iPP 11” 256 w/LTE and both an AT&T and a T-Mobile data plan on it, no SIMs. My two plans use the eSIM.

I bought from an Apple store. I wouldn’t buy from AT&T for love nor money.

I hope you get your problem sorted.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

But that doesn't explain why the new iPad is not receiving any service? Even if he gave them the old iPad number and they informed him its blacklisted in the system that has nothing to do with the new one.

It seems like you might need a new sim card perhaps? Sounds like they just inserted the same sim card in to your new iPad.... Highly unlikely that Apple sold you a blacklisted iPad, especially if you witnessed them take it out of a brand new box in front of you.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
My only choice for internet is ATT. Its always going down for several minutes at a time and the speed clocks in between 0.5mbps to 60mbps when it was 800mbps when it was first installed. Its been 4 months now, ATT swears there's nothing wrong with it, and I swear that its unusable. They're stealing from me and I have no choice.

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
So I went to the Apple Store at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL today. The same store I have been dealing with through all of these issues. I spoke with the same woman that gave me this iPP back on January 3rd and at first she didn’t believe me.....then she called AT&T and they told her that my iPP was reported stolen a full month prior to her unboxing it and giving it to me. AT&T refused to admit they messed up or do anything about it so the Apple Store lady got rather nasty with AT&T acusing them of not caring about their customers and stating that Apple does care and will resolve this issue.

She then ordered me ANOTHER iPP and told me that when I come to pick it up, before we put my SIM card in it we will call AT&T and confirm that the IMEI is in GOOD STANDING.

Reactions: LibbyLA

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Just another proof that US carriers are the worst. Moral of the story, never buy Apple stuff from carriers.

Reactions: newellj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.