Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Got mine hooked up today. Came across an issue. Synced my iPhone using the port on the hub. It syncs but won’t finish. Gets hung up. My OWC hub I have did the same thing. Have to plug into the mini. Was hoping this new hub wouldn’t have this issue. Still testing the other ports. Anyone else who has this hub have this issue?

Reactions: MBAir2010

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Got mine hooked up today. Came across an issue. Synced my iPhone using the port on the hub. It syncs but won’t finish. Gets hung up. My OWC hub I have did the same thing. Have to plug into the mini. Was hoping this new hub wouldn’t have this issue. Still testing the other ports. Anyone else who has this hub have this issue?
I don’t have that issue with syncing via a hub but I’m using a generic powered hub. Perhaps a powered hub makes a difference?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
I will try to sync the iphone 12 mini now...

well the Mac mini read the phone, since I dont sync anything
I tried to add a movie, but the iPhone wanted to delete my Mac mini library
so I stopped everything.

oh them :apple: s!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
Im a little disappointed that I can't install and run Monterey using that NMVe slot.
seems to me that the port won't start fast enough to finish the install process.
I guess I can install on a enclosure then insert that into the slot.

but then why?
:apple: will axe Monterey this year which is a shame cuz Sonoma is getting too controlling for me.

Deadceptor

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2024
How's the performance been so far with the new hubs? Any disconnects or problems with the NVMe overheating? I bought the older M.2 SATA SSD model last year in September and I've been completely satisfied with it so far. Got a 2TB WD Red SA500 SSD in it and gave it a real hard 48h test with lots of heavy R/W operations and the whole package handled it like a champ. My M1 Mac Mini's temperature almost doubled during that test (from 31C to 58C), but there were no disconnects or other problems. 4 months of continuous use now (using 1TB for hourly TM backups and the other half as misc storage for unimportant stuff) and R/W speeds have been stable ~330MB/s and the Mac's average temp has only risen by 7C with the dock attached. I'm not looking to upgrade because the current one fulfills my needs and works flawlessly, but I'm just curious to know whether this is the first non-powered NVMe hub that really works.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
How's the performance been so far with the new hubs? Any disconnects or problems with the NVMe overheating?
The experience is very good so far, I have a Western Digital Blue NVMe 1TB just for files
while the other usb c port on the mini is steaming
movies tv shows perfectly to another 4 port hub to external ssd drives.
while the macfan™ app shows everything under 100Fº now.

the easy access of plugging in thumb drive is un-expectantly a major blessing!
I never thought that i would swap and save photos, files and other media so easily!
I will add this info in the comment when I need to review the hub.

Reactions: Deadceptor

NonPlayableCharacter

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2019
I'm curious. What kind of black magic speeds are you getting on that NVME?
1706213329199.png

Seems fast enough to edit on, added a 500GB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe

ng25

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
Hi all,
enjoy reading this forum. Got a Mac mini last year and just received the new Satechi Mini Stand with SVMe SSD Stand.
I am using my 2.5 year old 2 TB SSD: SSD Adata Flash SX8200 Pro, 2TB, M.2.2280.

Installation was super easy. Black Magic looks like this:

1706563939850.png

Pretty happy with the extension. Any question let me know

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Was considering upgrading to a M3 mini but decided to put a 4TB SSD in the hub and a 4TB in my other external drive. Should give me about 4 more years on the this mini. Wanted a studio but this hub gives me the ports I need up front.

NonPlayableCharacter

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2019
Just a heads up for those who did end up purchasing the hub, you may want to shut down and lift up your Mini or Studio periodically (I plan to do it every 3 months) as I’ve noticed a pretty significant amount of dust on the air vent on the bottom of my computer.

Aesthetically I like the hub but am only using it with my Studio for the micro SD slot and the (somewhat) integrated SSD storage, so wouldn’t recommend it for someone with a Studio.

A more compelling case can be made for folks with a Mini (though ideally those front ports would be able to charge and not just function as data transfers).

If this hub had the same form factor and ports but with a separate power cable (to allow for data transfers and charging) then this would be a no-brainer purchase.

Reactions: N69AP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.