Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Pleasant surprise today. I took my 6th & 7th Gen iPod touch to the Apple Store to get the batteries replaced. Turns out they will exchange them for brand new iPods - for a fee.

I purchased the 6th Gen model in 2015. Both still run, but the 6th Gen only holds a charge for a little over 2 hours. I'm so happy to be getting new iPods. Apparently, Apple keeps them in inventory for this reason, even though the product is discontinued. The store said it will take less than a week for them to arrive.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Fantastic news! Thanks for the heads-up.

I had thought that both of them were “past their due date” for repairs, battery replacements, and, especially, full IPT replacements.

At first wondered if it's just your store. Clearly not. See https://support.apple.com/ipod/repair

How much did they charge you?! The standard $79 listed?

Did they check the battery health first?

Did you get the same colors? Did they give you a choice?

Too bad there's no mail-in service, although that has its own pitfalls!

No Apple Store near us, but there is a Best Buy and if it means getting a *new* IPT, I may consider taking action on my IPT 6.

They are amazing, lightweight devices!

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Pleasant surprise today. I took my 6th & 7th Gen iPod touch to the Apple Store to get the batteries replaced. Turns out they will exchange them for brand new iPods - for a fee.

I purchased the 6th Gen model in 2015. Both still run, but the 6th Gen only holds a charge for a little over 2 hours. I'm so happy to be getting new iPods. Apparently, Apple keeps them in inventory for this reason, even though the product is discontinued. The store said it will take less than a week for them to arrive.
Interesting. Can I assume that you once had AppleCare when you purchased the iPod new?
Did the AppleStore ask for proof of purchase or did they already have that on file?
I'd be interested to know too how much you were charged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.