Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
So I bought a new 8 plus, its stuck on ios 12. After hearing reports about ios 13 should I just stay on ios 12 for the time being?

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Personally (I have an 8 Plus), I’d wait until 13.2 at minimum. iOS 13 isn’t THAT bad but I do notice more “glitches” than in iOS 12. Though the gains in features kind of makes me not care about glitches (dark mode, optimized battery charging, etc)

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
With 13.2 probably days away now, I’d wait as that’s going to be the place where 13 starts to bed down - unless you really want to use dark mode (which is great imho).

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Yes, avoid 13 at all costs at the moment. It has killed my XR - camera app crashes so can't take photos, phone is glitchy, apps often crash upon opening and can't really multitask as when I flip between apps they do not pick up where I left off and always restart.

Reactions: Vivian125

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Yes, avoid 13 at all costs at the moment. It has killed my XR - camera app crashes so can't take photos, phone is glitchy, apps often crash upon opening and can't really multitask as when I flip between apps they do not pick up where I left off and always restart.
Disagree with you here, maybe a conflict with an app causing your issues, my son’s Xr is fine, my wife has an 8+ and I’m on a Xs Max all on the latest IOS version. There may be some minor glitches here and there but there’s no reason not to update.

Reactions: Mac2019

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Disagree with you here, maybe a conflict with an app causing your issues, my son’s Xr is fine, my wife has an 8+ and I’m on a Xs Max all on the latest IOS version. There may be some minor glitches here and there but there’s no reason not to update.
Fair enough but I can only comment on my own experience and that is that ios13 has made my phone glitch, apps crash and unable to take photos unless I do 2/3 hard resets per day (I did 1 or 2 in the 10 months prior to ios 13). It's a bit like using booking.com to find a hotel based on reviews - OP needs to read through and come to a decision based on the positive and negative reviews available. I would rather not leave a negative review but there's no other option.

If it is a conflict with an app I would hope that the Apple engineers can ascertain that from the logs they requested yesterday.

Reactions: Vivian125

Matteo[V]

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2016
Italy
Obviously yes... I do it, iphone 8 plus became my business phone and no issue using it... calls, imessage, whatsapp, hotspot, games... :)

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Fair enough but I can only comment on my own experience and that is that ios13 has made my phone glitch, apps crash and unable to take photos unless I do 2/3 hard resets per day (I did 1 or 2 in the 10 months prior to ios 13). It's a bit like using booking.com to find a hotel based on reviews - OP needs to read through and come to a decision based on the positive and negative reviews available. I would rather not leave a negative review but there's no other option.

If it is a conflict with an app I would hope that the Apple engineers can ascertain that from the logs they requested yesterday.
That stinks you’re having these issues. But I meant was a third party app may be the cause. It may not be optimized for the new IOS version and could cause the issues you have. I know it’s a real pain, but what you could try is resetting your phone and set it up as new, and see if it helps. Then slowly add your apps back to try and figure out which one’s causing it.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Echoing the majority in that I have had no issues on 13.1.2 that are obvious to me. If there are indeed bugs and things happening, they are not apparent to me or affecting my use. YMMV.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I too was concerned about updating to ios 13 on my 8 plus mainly due to removal of some 3d functionality but took the plunge with 13.1.2. Seems very stable, snappy and the dark mode is really good, easier on the eyes for text especially. I have noticed only one glitch so far on the Quora app, where it sometimes ‘jump’ scrolls but thats it so far.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
So I bought a new 8 plus, its stuck on ios 12. After hearing reports about ios 13 should I just stay on ios 12 for the time being?

Now, with 13.1.3 being the latest, yes, go for it. I updated mine from 13.1.2 to 13.1.3 and it felt way more snappier and faster, i can recommend it. Otherwise, wait for 13.2 as that one will fix even more bugs. Should be here by the end of this month.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The last version of iOS 12 will be running on millions of iPhone 6 devices still in the wild. They've been barred from upgrading. It's a mature release with a year of bug fixes under its belt.
iOS 13 at the present moment is still a work in progress (public beta that's not called a beta) and there's more that a few screwups currently coded into it.

The BIG thing about iOS 13 is Dark Mode, and I was excited about that (and an improved Notes & Reminders app).
But after trying Dark Mode for a bit, it's not that neat and I don't even use it, and the other two apps aren't really improvements, just different.

Stick with iOS 12 until August, then reconsider.

But eventually (like years from now) you'll need to either sell the phone or upgrade the OS, cuz everyone abandons older versions of iOS after a few years and stuff stops working. The Achilles heel is Safari. It's baked into the OS and the only way to keep it up to date is upgrade the entire OS.

ultramagnus

Suspended
Oct 22, 2019
13.1.2 seems to be a safe update, so I would upgrade. To avoid any issues, I would upgrade and restore the phone as new, so you get a clean slate.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
How so? iPhone 8 and 8 plus are LCD so the whole screen is backlight at all times when the screen is on using light or dark mode. Dark mode is only a battery advantage to OLED iPhones as the black pixels will be switched off. Unless I’m missing something?
Maybe he uses an OLED iPhone, regardless he's commenting on a thread for 8 Plus.

I personally would hold off, unless you need the new features. iOS 13 is full of bugs, just like how iOS 11 was (a big disappointment).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Maybe he uses an OLED iPhone, regardless he's commenting on a thread for 8 Plus.

I personally would hold off, unless you need the new features. iOS 13 is full of bugs, just like how iOS 11 was (a big disappointment).
It’s not full of bugs for everybody though. Some are experiencing things others aren’t and none are particularly serious for usage from what I gather.

Reactions: saber32au

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
The one thing I really don't like on iOS13 is the new added side borders to email. Currently my 7 plus shows email right up to the edge of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.