Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Hey everybody,

I just got back from trading my 2.26/2/160 13" MBP for a Rev B 1.6/2/120HD Air.

Before anyone rails me *Scottsdale* for getting a non SSD, keep in mind that this computer is going to be used on the go, all the time for basically just web browsing and word processing.

It was an even trade, except mine had 7 months of default AC left, while this computer has AC till 2/2012. Also he included the USB -> Ethernet adaptor which I needed.

So just wanted to say hello, and that I've been lurking here for awhile and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for first time Air owners, like programs to install (Coolbook maybe?).

Thanks for your help!

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Hey everybody,

I just got back from trading my 2.26/2/160 13" MBP for a Rev B 1.6/2/120HD Air.

Before anyone rails me *Scottsdale* for getting a non SSD, keep in mind that this computer is going to be used on the go, all the time for basically just web browsing and word processing.

It was an even trade, except mine had 7 months of default AC left, while this computer has AC till 2/2012. Also he included the USB -> Ethernet adaptor which I needed.

So just wanted to say hello, and that I've been lurking here for awhile and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for first time Air owners, like programs to install (Coolbook maybe?).

Thanks for your help!

Congrats and welcome! My suggestion would be to get a laptop cooler if you plan to watch much web video (flash video), and a nice slip case.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Thanks :p I still have my Incase sleeve, so I'll be using that. If this computer is running in clamshell on a desk (with proper venting), playing flash video, would I necessarily need a cooler? Or maybe just one of those rods that elevates the computer and gives it better venting?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Congratulations. No, I only state that Nvidia GPU is what everyone should get in their MBAs. I believe anyone using their MBA as their PRIMARY MAC should pay the little extra for SSD. Certainly people can accept the HDD as a Mac on the run needed for email and minor surfing. Just expect it to be slow.

One other thing is people who do buy the SSD end up using the MBA as their primary Mac at far higher conversion rates than those with HDDs. The thing is an MBA with SSD is usually faster than the primary Mac of the user and he/she has no reason for it not to be their primary Mac. Those with HDDs in their MBAs do not experience the same phenomenon.

Want an MBA as your second Mac or traveling Mac, no need for SSD. Just be sure you know what you're giving up in speed and performance for $200 refurbished or $300 new.

Congrats again on your new MBA.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Well I would gladly pay $200-300 more, if I was buying a new/refurb machine, but this was a straight up trade (from which I benefitted from, his was worth more via Apple and has Applecare). But I definitely agree that I would definitely prefer the SSD over my HDD, but alas I didn't really have an option. This is my 'primary' Mac, but I have a sufficiently powerful desktop at home (3.4GHz, overclocked to 3.6GHz quad-core, 4GB of DDR2, 1TB internal drive, CD/DVD R-W with LightScribe, nVidia 8600GTS w/ 1GB of DDR2). So this computer will meet my needs, since that computer does everything else.

What is everyone's opinion on coolbook?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Well I would gladly pay $200-300 more, if I was buying a new/refurb machine, but this was a straight up trade (from which I benefitted from, his was worth more via Apple and has Applecare). But I definitely agree that I would definitely prefer the SSD over my HDD, but alas I didn't really have an option. This is my 'primary' Mac, but I have a sufficiently powerful desktop at home (3.4GHz, overclocked to 3.6GHz quad-core, 4GB of DDR2, 1TB internal drive, CD/DVD R-W with LightScribe, nVidia 8600GTS w/ 1GB of DDR2). So this computer will meet my needs, since that computer does everything else.

What is everyone's opinion on coolbook?

There is no need for CoolBook in an MBA with a Penryn CPU and Nvidia GPU. In the original CoolBook made sense as it helped it operate cooler and not overheat so much. The Penryn CPU is already lower voltage so why undervolt it.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
There is no need for CoolBook in an MBA with a Penryn CPU and Nvidia GPU. In the original CoolBook made sense as it helped it operate cooler and not overheat so much. The Penryn CPU is already lower voltage so why undervolt it.

The low "voltage" isn't really that low. Its rated at 1.050 Volts to 1.150 Volts while regular 35W processors are 1.050 Volts to ~1.250 Volts. The TDP, is lower, only at 17W.

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
I've got a Rev. A HDD and don't use Coolbook and haven't had any problems. When I watch streamed video, I use a lap desk to keep from blocking any vents. One thing I did a while ago, which may help (I don't know), was to disable Dashboard and widgets. I used OnyX to do so. I haven't had much in the way of problems so far (knock on aluminum).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
If you ever want to switch to SSD there is an aftermarket solution now. Runcore has a nice SSD that fits in the MBA. Not only is it much faster than an HDD, it's also greater than twice as fast as the stock SSD. They sell them in both 64 GB and 128 GB. I have one on the way. I plan to write up a review once I get it. Also, I planto sell the stock SSD if the Runcore is really nice. I think selling the stock drive on eBay will probably get more money than the Runcore costs. Even the HDD would bring a pretty penny on eBay probably covering half the cost.

Enjoy your MBA. And look for my review of the Runcore SSD if you ever want to consider upgrading to SSD.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
If you ever want to switch to SSD there is an aftermarket solution now. Runcore has a nice SSD that fits in the MBA. Not only is it much faster than an HDD, it's also greater than twice as fast as the stock SSD. They sell them in both 64 GB and 128 GB. I have one on the way. I plan to write up a review once I get it. Also, I planto sell the stock SSD if the Runcore is really nice. I think selling the stock drive on eBay will probably get more money than the Runcore costs. Even the HDD would bring a pretty penny on eBay probably covering half the cost.

Enjoy your MBA. And look for my review of the Runcore SSD if you ever want to consider upgrading to SSD.

Do you void your warranty by upgrading the drive?

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Yeah, I'd like to know if it voids it or not. Cause with how the MBA is configured, I'd wanna know how all that works out. Make sure to lemme know what you think of the runcore. How much do you plan on selling your stock SSD for?

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Congrats ... I love my Air, though I kept my 15" MBP (they're used for different things).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.