Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
I recieved my brand new Macbook Air on Monday. It is now Wednesday and I love it. However I just noticed a dent along the bottom of the screen. I can see it easily now that I am obsessed over it. I have asked a few people and they cannot see it unless I point it out.
I bought it through the online education store so will I be able to do a straight swap in store? By the way, I did not cause the dent.

Here are two photos of it. They are weird colours because it is hard to capture :rolleyes:
Do you think I am being overly obsessive? I do plan to sell the laptop in the future and I hope this doesn't decrease its value.

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

Last edited:

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
Call Apple. They should email you a postage paid return label, just ship it back in the original container.

That will take time though. If I could swap in store then I could get a new one straight away. Surely if I ring them tomorrow and organise it all I won't get a new one until some time next week.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
If it's not a custom air i would think apple store would do swap right away...why not just call your local store and ask...

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
If it's not a custom air i would think apple store would do swap right away...why not just call your local store and ask...

Ok, I'll give them a ring tomorrow. It's a base 13". The only thing unusual about the purchase is that I got an educational discount with the £65 voucher.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Since its the base, they'll be able to swap it at the store. Did the same when I had a 13" MBP come DOA (also purchased with education discount).

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Ok, I'll give them a ring tomorrow. It's a base 13". The only thing unusual about the purchase is that I got an educational discount with the £65 voucher.

This should be fine. If you did not cause it, they'll swap it. I had a new MacBook Air that had no visible damage but a cracked screen somehow. Apple swapped it (and upgraded me to the 2011 model) without any questions.

Not accusing you of course, but just don't abuse Apple's good customer service. If enough people do, it will cease to be as it is now.

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
This should be fine. If you did not cause it, they'll swap it. I had a new MacBook Air that had no visible damage but a cracked screen somehow. Apple swapped it (and upgraded me to the 2011 model) without any questions.

Not accusing you of course, but just don't abuse Apple's good customer service. If enough people do, it will cease to be as it is now.

I am sure if Apple did have the same suspicions, which I am completely fine with since I have nothing to hide, I can justify that I did not cause it because it is in such a weird place. Maybe if it was on the outside it would be a different matter.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
If the Apple store is close and convenient, take it there. You could even make an appointment at the Genius bar.

I don't know this for sure but I suspect if you call Apple, they may have you mail it back. If you show up at the store, they will likely take care of you and want you to leave satisfied. So, I'd take it to the store if was in your situation.

df2gadgetman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
KCRG
Sorry to hear that, when I got my MBP, I had a dent on the bottom. I just kept it because its hidden on the bottom.

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
I just got off the phone with my local Apple store and they said it will be no problem to take it in and swap it :D

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
Apple are so awkward :mad::mad:
Went into the store today and they said the manager is willing to make an exception and do a straight swap. They do not usually do this if you bought the machine online apparently and if it came from in store they would repair it. But I would feel as if I would have been left with a refurbished Mac even though I paid for a new one. HOWEVER, if I did this I would lose the complementary 3 years repair service which comes with buying and Mac from the online education store. WTF!!
So I have now rang the online store and they said they will arrange a pickup for this one asap and I should recieve a replacement in 3 working days. More waiting... oh joy. :mad:

At least the online store said I will be keeping my 3 year complimentary repair service.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Went into the store today and they said the manager is willing to make an exception and do a straight swap. They do not usually do this if you bought the machine online apparently and if it came from in store they would repair it. But I would feel as if I would have been left with a refurbished Mac even though I paid for a new one. HOWEVER, if I did this I would lose the complementary 3 years repair service which comes with buying and Mac from the online education store. WTF!!
So I have now rang the online store and they said they will arrange a pickup for this one asap and I should recieve a replacement in 3 working days. More waiting... oh joy. :mad:

At least the online store said I will be keeping my 3 year complimentary repair service.

It's all about the person who serves you. I returned my 27" ACD because of a defect (bought online) and the Genius behind the counter (who was obviously not in the mood) gave the line that same old "online and retail are different entities" line and i'd have to get it repaired, but naturally they don't stock 27" panels in the back so off I go with my screen to return it next week. Eventually it got fixed, but the replacement panel had a dead pixel. I was very polite and amenable, but obviously despondent about it, knowing that one dead pixel on a 27" panel is within their acceptable policy. So another dude slipped into the back and upon return offered me a straight up replacement with a new warranty. (in fact I think they put it through as a new sale)

The eventual outcome was perfect (screen is flawless now) but it proves it's really luck and attitude that get you the solution you want!

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
HOWEVER, if I did this I would lose the complementary 3 years repair service which comes with buying and Mac from the online education store. WTF!!
You can contact Apple phone support and get them to transfer the warranty package over from the old serial number to the new serial number. What actually happened in my case from what I can see is that they've applied a complimentary Apple Care to the new serial number rather than transferring the three year warranty over. The two are similar but not identical.

Alec

msoravia

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Como, Italy
The very same thing happened to me. Mine was not new though. Actually I had the hinge broken so i took it to the apple store, the whole screen was replaced for free (recognised as defective, or i would have paid 394€).
I saw the damage only when i went back home... But decided to say nothing: it was 3+ years old, they repaired it for free and cleaned all up. They also changed all the screws on the bottom i ruined with a bad quality screwdriver.
What should have i said if not thanks apple? :D
Yours is new though, get it replaced or it'll obsess you!

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a friend who worked at the Apple Store for about 3 years. He told me the simple secret to basically being able to get what you want. If it's slightly busy, just start to raise your voice a bit and demand to see a manager. Apparently if you act pissy and loud, the manager will usually do anything to give you your way.

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
All sorted. On my new faultless air :D
I didn't even go a day without one. The new one arrived yesterday morning and the damaged one got picked up later on that evening. So I had 2 at one point :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.